American Brewing Breakaway IPA...On Nitro?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namyarb3

Reaction score
Got home from a local bar today. Ordered an American Brewing 'Breakaway IPA'.
It had the distinctive "swirling" of a draught Guinness and was 1/3 head. Waitress told me it's dispensed with nitro...WTF.
Am I just uneducated? I have NEVER heard of an IPA served/dispensed like this. Someone clarify this for me. Whether I'm right or wrong...I need to know!!

I have heard of IPA's being served through a stout tap but it is very rare. How did it taste? I have a nitro setup myself but have not put anything but stouts or porters on.

It still had a hop presence, for sure, but it tasted really creamy...if that makes sense. I was not a fan at all.
To me, an IPA should be fairly dry. This one, because of the perceived creaminess, had the wrong mouthfeel. To me, anyway.

I have had a few IPA's served on nitro. I liked them. I think for it to work they have to be really dry. It is a different sensation. You don't expect an IPA to be so creamy.

I have a nitro tap. I may just try kegging half of a batch in one of my 2 1/2 gallon kegs and serve it up.

To me nitro kills hop character. I have had a few nitro IPAs and haven't liked ant of them. Now an IPA from a beer engine, that's a different story.

Back