Help BCS 462 wiring Schematic/Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beluedog

Reaction score
I am reposting this with an updated title and some revisions

So basically looking to do the same main panel build as BrewskiBroski with a keezer/ferm sub panel

found here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/he...tric-bcs-460-2-element-brewing-system-300259/

And need some help/advice on build/schematic

50Amp Panel Mounted GFI
3 - 20 gal kettles
HLT and BK both have 5500W heating elements
HERMS system with the heat exchange coils in the HLT
2 march pumps
1Keezer - cool
1Ferm Chamber - Heat/Cool
BCS 462 to maintain temps and on/off for pumps
At any given time, I need to run 1 element and 2 pumps (never running both elements at the same time) as well as ferm freezer and keezer

What i'd like:
A panel with switches for manual/auto(BCS 462)/off for each element and both pumps as well as an e-switch, master key switch and indicator lights for ferm/keezer

Wondering if its possible to use this for pumps, keezer and ferm:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007BKARFU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

seems cleaner and expandable than going ssr route

And use this for 5V power: http://dx.com/p/5v-3-8a-regulated-s...ilver-145841?gclid=CL_e5piDqbQCFUKd4AoddH0AIg

Also considering moving the ferm/keezer to its own sub box. Possibly some sort of pluggable A/C, cat 5 for relay control and power and 3 wire shielded for temp probes. If I went this route i would use ssr's for pumps in main control panel.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the schematic from P-J that i will be basing my build on.

BCS-460-wiring-2-4-a.jpg

Good ideas, I'm going the same route as you are with the exception of a 60A gfci, running both elements at same time. I assume you are just using the bcs to switch the ferm chamber and kegerator on/off, not actually powering them from the same 50A power, right? Also, I want to get a cheap tablet with a rj45 port mounted to front of panel so I don't need internet or wifi to make the whole thing work. Good luck, I'll be watching your build since I can't start until 2014 ( deployed in Navy ).

I assume you are just using the bcs to switch the ferm chamber and kegerator on/off, not actually powering them from the same 50A power, right?

Yes will be a dedicated 20A 120v circuit

Also, I want to get a cheap tablet with a rj45 port mounted to front of panel so I don't need internet or wifi to make the whole thing work. Good luck, I'll be watching your build since I can't start until 2014 ( deployed in Navy ).

I like the idea of being able to change the ferm temp from anywhere so running a cat5 cable to the BCS is no big deal. Just started ordering pieces this week so should start building soon!

So after a 2 day drive back from my in-laws I had plenty of time to rethink this build a bit.

I think I should move the BCS, 12v Transformer and 6V step-down to the ferm controller. It seems to make more sense residing here as it will always be running the keezer and just be used intermittently for brewing.

Also I think 3 way illuminated switches while nice are a little over kill (read cost too much)
I think a simple 3 way with an indicator light will suffice. I was able to retro-wire one of P-J's schematics but I think I am a little over my head redoing a new schematic.

Anyone... ahem P-J like to do a schematic for this build. I would gladly compensate for time spent.

thanks in advance...

rob

Just finished designing schematic for BCS/Ferm part. Will work on Brewtroller tom'w.

Parts have begun to arrive so hope to start drilling soon!

brewtroller-front.jpg

ferm-v2.01.jpg

Took a stab at brewtroller schematic. Anyone see anything wrong?
Schematic-3.jpg

Sorry for the total newb question here but I'm trying to decide whether or not to go ahead with a Kal style control panel or a BCS setup to run a single pot and pump. The reason why the BCS is on my radar is that eventually I will scale up to using a RIMS tube for mashing.

My question is why the selector switches? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the automation of the BCS? I had assumed you could run your BCS to your SSR's then to your heating elements. Or am I missing something?

Sorry for the total newb question here but I'm trying to decide whether or not to go ahead with a Kal style control panel or a BCS setup to run a single pot and pump. The reason why the BCS is on my radar is that eventually I will scale up to using a RIMS tube for mashing.

My question is why the selector switches? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the automation of the BCS? I had assumed you could run your BCS to your SSR's then to your heating elements. Or am I missing something?

If your planning on expanding makes sense to go with BCS IMHO.
Selector switch are Auto (BCS) | Off | ON (manual).

I added the manual in case the BCS crashes mid brew and for cleaning pumps and what not...

Is the BCS known to crash? I assume manual mode would simply give full power to the element?

Not know to crash. Yes full power. I would only expect it to be one for a few minutes if you needed to restart BCS.

I use 3 way switches with my bcs and use them a lot to run things manually, mostly while I'm cleaning up to warm up some water or use the pumps. Not necessary but I would highly recommend using them. I have had my wireless freak out before and lost connectivity to the bcs which could leave you completely out of control at a critical moment. I pretty much use the ethernet line during the brew now just to be safe and only use wireless if I'm working on setting up some processess pre brew from the couch.

I use 3 way switches with my bcs and use them a lot to run things manually, mostly while I'm cleaning up to warm up some water or use the pumps. Not necessary but I would highly recommend using them. I have had my wireless freak out before and lost connectivity to the bcs which could leave you completely out of control at a critical moment. I pretty much use the ethernet line during the brew now just to be safe and only use wireless if I'm working on setting up some processess pre brew from the couch.
Good to know. Thanks. Would you do anything different with your setup knowing what you know now?

I'm essentially building the same project, except with electric ball valves. Can't wait to see more progress, thanks.

I have been fighting the flu for a few days so forgive me if I missed something. But, you are using the BCS462 but then started mentioning Brewtroller. I thought these were different? Am I missing something?

I have been fighting the flu for a few days so forgive me if I missed something. But, you are using the BCS462 but then started mentioning Brewtroller. I thought these were different? Am I missing something?

sorry for the miss quote. Just separating out whats controlling my brewing and my ferm/keezer.

Yes its all controlled by BCS 462

I am going to have a similar system to this. My ferm unit are away from my brewing area so this is great information on how to set my BCS system.
What are you going to monitor the system with? Networked computer, etc.?

I am going to have a similar system to this. My ferm unit are away from my brewing area so this is great information on how to set my BCS system.
What are you going to monitor the system with? Networked computer, etc.?

Monitored via networked computer. Dedicated IP with port forwarding so I can see it from outside my LAN.

Drilled and mounted components for the ferm/keezer on the back plate last night. I got a used hoffman 12x10x6 box for $25 shipped.
544636320_o.jpg

drill-1.jpg

Finally had a chance to finish the ferm/keezer controller. It was a tight fit, but pretty happy with the results. If anyone else plans on using dual DC power supplies make sure they are grounded together. You will save yourself some time troubleshooting, trust me.

IMG_2607.jpg

Starting the brewery controller this w/e. Will post as I go.

Finally had a chance to finish the ferm/keezer controller. It was a tight fit, but pretty happy with the results. If anyone else plans on using dual DC power supplies make sure they are grounded together. You will save yourself some time troubleshooting, trust me.

Looks good. Another possible ground issue is the ground terminals on the bcs for the probes need to be connected to the overall ground loop too. Someone on the bcs forum helped me out with that, i was getting zig zag temp readings before hooking that up.

Started work on the Brewer part of this build. Used a ideal carbide hole cutter which worked great. Slow and lots of cutting oil.
front.jpg

That looks great. I'd like one too! One question though..... those holes look much too big for pellet hops and even too big for leaf, are yoiu going to add a screen to them to keep the hops out of the fermenter?

greenrhino said:
That looks great. I'd like one too! One question though..... those holes look much too big for pellet hops and even too big for leaf, are yoiu going to add a screen to them to keep the hops out of the fermenter?

Odd question because that's not his false bottom, it's his control panel.

Hey beluedog, this build is going to be awesome! I see that you're planning on allowing only 1 heating elements to fire at a time. I know it's a controversial issue, but a lot of guys are running 2 elements at once and still using only 50a. Did you ever consider keeping that option open? I'm just curious because I'm hoping to start a build someday soon so I'm taking in as much info as possible.

Thanks for posting all of this, especially the pictures and wiring schematics. Please post any changes to the wiring if anything needs to be changed... it seems like a few of us are looking to do the same (or similar) build as this.

Looking forward to updates. Thanks again!

Hey beluedog, this build is going to be awesome! I see that you're planning on allowing only 1 heating elements to fire at a time. I know it's a controversial issue, but a lot of guys are running 2 elements at once and still using only 50a. Did you ever consider keeping that option open? I'm just curious because I'm hoping to start a build someday soon so I'm taking in as much info as possible.

Thanks for posting all of this, especially the pictures and wiring schematics. Please post any changes to the wiring if anything needs to be changed... it seems like a few of us are looking to do the same (or similar) build as this.

Looking forward to updates. Thanks again!

Did not want to go that route as you would need separate breakers inside the control box and didnt think it was worth the hassel. We are using a 25 gal HLT so if we wanted to back to back 12 gallon batches we wouldn't lose much time.

Just finished drilling, cutting and painting brewing control box, so should start wiring everything up next week. Stay tuned for more pictures.

I see that you're planning on allowing only 1 heating elements to fire at a time. I know it's a controversial issue, but a lot of guys are running 2 elements at once and still using only 50a.

Hijack. . . go for it. I'm running two 6500W, 2 March pumps and a BCS wall wort on a 50a GFIC and have never tripped the breaker. Just size your feed wiring appropriately and you should be good to go. I'm running a HERMS and it's critical to be able to heat liquor for mashin in my BK and simultaneously heat the HLT (with Hex coil) to mash temps. When your heating 10-15 gal it just takes awhile. Being to able to heat simultaneously saves a ton of time. Add in BCS control and you can literally pre-heat before your morning coffee. Awesome :rockin:

You must be using some kind of magic. Just the two 6500W elements together draw over 54 amps.

Nah. . not 110 . . just me being stupid. I'm running two 5500W (not 6500W), 2 march 815 and a wallwort. Under load my service runs hot 230-240V, so a 50A circuits works fine. Not much wiggle room, but it's GFI protected and I've never popped the breaker.

PLOVE

Back