pre/post boil gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpot2004

Reaction score
Brewed a oatmeal stout today with a target of of 1.064. Stopped fly sparging when I had 6.5 gallons pre-boil. Pre-boil gravity reading was 1.048. Boiled 65 minutes and ended up with almost exactly 5 gallons. My OG ended up being 1.070. Something doesn't seem right here.. 6.5x48 = 312/5 = 1.062, how did I end up with 1.070?

Were you taking gravity readings with a refractometer or a hydrometer? If hydrometer, did you take both readings at room temp or close?

Were you taking gravity readings with a refractometer or a hydrometer? If hydrometer, did you take both readings at room temp or close?

Gravity readings were taken with a hydrometer. Pre-boil reading was temp corrected, post-boil reading was taken when wort had cooled to 65.

Volume measurement errors?

I have a wooden dowel that I use so I get exactly 6.5 gallons pre-boil, and I used the gallon markings on the bucket and ended up almost right to the 5 gallon line, maybe like 4.8-4.9 gallons.

Gravity readings were taken with a hydrometer. Pre-boil reading was temp corrected, post-boil reading was taken when wort had cooled to 65.

This is why. You can throw the temp corrections out the window if they get too far above the calibration point.

Back