Flowers of wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkmorgan

Reaction score
I am making a batch of peach wine. I started 3 weeks ago (October 17th, today is November 6th). The must had a great deal of pulp in it, and I noticed when racking to secondary that the must had pulp and white stuff (powder?) at the top. Sorry, I don't have a picture, but there was a good amount of it, I tried to keep from racking it to secondary as much as possible. I also used some water and a turkey baster to overflow and suck anything from the top of the carboy.

A day and a half later, I am seeing the images I attached. Some sites have said to filter, add K-meta, bottle, and drink immediately, but I would like a second opinion, please.

I am making this for my wife, but it is still young and harsh. I am hoping that this is just pulp, but I don't think so. What do you guys think?

2012-11-06_19-37-56_910.jpg

2012-11-06_19-38-06_129.jpg

2012-11-06_19-38-12_927.jpg

Flowers of wine appears dry & powdery on the surface of the wine. From the pic, I'd also say it's pulp. I don't think there's anything to worry about, but if it bugs you, rack from under it.
Regards, GF.

what was your OG

I'm at work, and don't have my records, but I'm thinking it was ridiculously high. Around 15% PA, or 1.1115 SG. This was to be expected because (according to the Terry Garey book's recipe) the pulp would artificially inflate the PA.

Back