Oops, fusel IPA- dump or age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zendog

Reaction score
Hi all.

Got lazy and let an IPA ferment up to 76F (WLP007). Overall taste is OK, but the alcohol/phenols after-taste ruins it. Should I dump it or will aging eliminate or mellow the higher alcohols? Also, if I should age it, should I store at room temp or keep it cold? How long to age? It is currently in a keg, carbonated, and in my keezer. Some stats:

OG: 1064
FG: 1008
ABV: ~ 7%

Thanks!

Hi all.

Got lazy and let an IPA ferment up to 76F (WLP007). Overall taste is OK, but the alcohol/phenols after-taste ruins it. Should I dump it or will aging eliminate or mellow the higher alcohols? Also, if I should age it, should I store at room temp or keep it cold? How long to age? It is currently in a keg, carbonated, and in my keezer. Some stats:

Thanks!

Fusels don't age out, but it might mellow a bit with time.

Did you let it clean up & settle out clear in primary? This usually takes care of these things unless it's pretty bad.

It was in primary for 2weeks, transferred to secondary with dry hops for 1 week at 68, then chilled in fridge for 2 weeks.

zendog said:
Hi all.

Thanks!

Had that problem once myself with an imperial amber. After 6 months it was amazing. Keep it and bring in the new year with it.

I'm going to hand this over to father time and call this one a long-term research project! The beer also has a considerable cloudiness to it so I'll see if that settles out as well. Wish my beer luck...

You should've skipped secondary & gave it at least that 3rd weeek in primary to clean up & settle out clear before dry hopping. That usually helps a lot.

See if it ages out at all, you can always dry hop in the keg 6 months from now to bring it back to life!

You should've skipped secondary & gave it at least that 3rd weeek in primary to clean up & settle out clear before dry hopping. That usually helps a lot.
Yeah, looking back, I usually give 3 weeks in primary. It was fermented out in 4 days, so I thought 2 weeks would suffice. Even so, once the higher alcohols are formed, can they be broken down?

Back