porter blew air lock, needs more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my porter blew 3 piece airlock ,,clouged it up,so i replaced with blow off hose,,bubbled for 2 days then pot 3 piece back on, now the top of carbot is covered with brown stuff,,should i take a G reading to see where it is? or just add more yeast? can u add tomuch yeasy? this is my first porter with honey and molasis's...kinda confused on what to do!

It sounds like it's going very well, so right now it's just time to walk away and let the beer finish up. The krausen on top means that the yeast is very active and is actively fermenting the beer, so it's time to just wait. I'd keep it under 70 degrees and check the SG in about a week.

theres nothing on top of wort,its all stuck to the glass,5 gallon batch in a 6 1/2 gallon carboy.been in carboy for 4 days now

theres nothing on top of wort,its all stuck to the glass,5 gallon batch in a 6 1/2 gallon carboy.been in carboy for 4 days now

Ah, I got it now! That's fine. The reason that it's finished already is because it probably got far warmer than 70 degrees during that blow-off time. It's not unusual for active fermentation to finish in 1-3 days, especially if it's warm (above 70 degrees). In any case, wait one week and then check the SG if you can't stand to wait two weeks.

At two weeks, SG readings can be taken three days apart, and then the beer bottled if the same readings occur.

Back