Bourbon Barrel Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhead

Reaction score
it all started with an idea. let's get a bourbon barrel and make us some bourbon barrel stout. well, at first there were a couple of recipe candidates, but we all agreed on a Yeti Stout clone. we acquired a fresh bourbon barrel - which is currently hydrating in star San, assembled a team of participants, purchased grain, hops and yeast, and set a date for the brew.

the recipe was split into two 40 gallon brews:

Code:
Yeti Imperial Stout 60
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal):        80.00    Wort Size (Gal):   80.00
Total Grain (Lbs):      312.00
Anticipated OG:          1.102    Plato:             24.18
Anticipated SRM:          63.1
Anticipated IBU:          77.4
Brewhouse Efficiency:       75 %
Wort Boil Time:             60    Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
   %     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 78.2   244.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)              America        1.036      2
  5.1    16.00 lbs. Crystal 150L                  Great Britain  1.033    150
  3.8    12.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt                America        1.029    350
  3.8    12.00 lbs. Black Patent Malt             America        1.028    525
  3.8    12.00 lbs. Roasted Barley                America        1.028    450
  2.6     8.00 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat       America        1.034      2
  2.6     8.00 lbs. Flaked Rye                    America        1.034      2
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
   Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 16.00 oz.    Chinook                           Whole   13.00  46.2  60 min.
  8.00 oz.    Chinook                           Whole   13.00  23.1  60 min.
  8.00 oz.    Centennial                        Whole   10.50   5.0  15 min.
  8.00 oz.    Centennial                        Whole   10.50   3.1  5 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1056 American Ale/Chico

the wort was transferred to a 150 gallon fermenter complete with a water cooled jacket which was made from an old ice maker.

everything went pretty smooth and we hit all of our targets. the brew is now in the fermenter bubbling away with a vengeance.

in a couple of weeks after fermentation is done - we'll xfer to the bourbon barrel and store in a chilled environment for about 9 - 12 months. we'll reconvine next year at this time to taste the fruits of our efforts.

we took scabs of pictures. i have uploaded some but will continue to upload the rest as i get em.

http://tinyurl.com/36tz2f

Where did you get the barrel? I'm buying one for the club I'm in, but the place is 3 hours away. You're not any closer, but just curious how you aquired it.
BTW, sounds awesome.

Sounds really good. I just drank a Bourbon Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout from Walking Man in Stevenson, WA. Really tasty. Keep us posted on how it comes out.

land honey said:
Where did you get the barrel? I'm buying one for the club I'm in, but the place is 3 hours away. You're not any closer, but just curious how you acquired it.
BTW, sounds awesome.

the barrel was donated through a personal friend who wishes to remain anonymous. i hate that - wish i could source one for you because when we first started looking around the freight on a barrel was more than the barrel itself.

Wow, that is very impressive. What exactly are you using as your primary fermenter? I couldn't really get a good look at it from the pictures as it was covered with some kind of insulation.

racking party:
BBB_November_006.jpg

BBB_November_009.jpg

BBB_November_034.jpg

BBB_November_035.jpg

we have another barrel - i think we might do a barley wine to piggyback onto this brew effort.

ithat is indeed santa running the forklift. you didn't ever know that santa was a brewer did ya :rockin:

Wobblebottom said:
Wow, that is very impressive. What exactly are you using as your primary fermenter? I couldn't really get a good look at it from the pictures as it was covered with some kind of insulation.

the primary is a 150 gallon fermenter complete with a chilled water jacket fashioned from 150 feet of hose and a modified ice maker then covered with insulation

WEEK 1: checking twice this week i am happy to report that the levels are at the mark where we first intalled the barrel in tc's cooler. everything looks good and smells wonderful.

Back