Laboratory "Corneys" what did I find?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8odecay

Reaction score
Found these at a local garage sale today, any body have any ideas for what I could use them for? Roughly 1 gal and 2.5 or 3 gal size I'm guessing...

Lab Corneys.jpg

Either small kegs to bring to parties or sell them to get something you want more.

I have one like the one in front on your image. It has 4 posts as yours shows. One with a dip tube. I figured out a way to adapt standard corny keg fittings to it (one liquid out & one CO² in) and use it to take a gallon of brew to a meeting or a party.

Works great.

I think you struck on a great find.

They look like pressure vessels..I have one that is similar to those shown. I too adapted mine to a ball lock (5 gallon). Mine came with a pressure regulator and a dentist tool (air on one button and water on the other). It was used with DI water. Might be helpful to know what was in those before you put them to use :)

Careful. I used that type of pressure dispense can in my research lab to deliver various nasty chemical mixtures. Unless you know their history, I would think twice about using them for food/beverage applications....

BK

I got them from local college girls, said they were for and marked as "cell culture media sanitizer". I have a feeling they were already repurposed, as the large one had IPA stickers on it... I appreciate your input on the WTF was in there before...but please expound, just as a Q, how much of any nasty would a properly cleaned and sanitized heavy SS vessel retain?

You'll have to use your best judgement on how clean is clean enough. Remove all the fittings, visually inspect, clean with one or more aqueous cleaning agents and maybe also an organic like acetone, give it the sniff test. I doubt you could actually measure trace levels of potential nasties, unless you knew exactly what you were measuring for and had a good analytical method for it (ignoring the costs associated with testing for the moment). It's more a segregation or good practice thing for me as a professional...lab stuff stays in the lab for lab applications. Maybe it held mercury solution or maybe it held 200 proof ethanol...

BK

Why do I never find anything cool like that?? Hmm, maybe because I don't go to garage/rummage sales. Dang.

Nice find!

I got them from local college girls, said they were for and marked as "cell culture media sanitizer". I have a feeling they were already repurposed, as the large one had IPA stickers on it... I appreciate your input on the WTF was in there before...but please expound, just as a Q, how much of any nasty would a properly cleaned and sanitized heavy SS vessel retain?

Local college girls eh? Sounds like someone got a five finger discount. Those vessels don't look like they were retired.

Back