Pale Ale FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaumc

Reaction score
Hey there,
Ive had a pale ale in the fermenter for 6 days now, and it started off extremely well - bubbling like a maniac for a couple of days before coming to a stop.

The OG was 1.040, but the last two readings ive taken - the latest being yesterday, were. 1.012.

Now, is that enough? It seems that it should be lower...what should I do?:confused:

That's 70% attenuation, nothing unusual. If it stays the same for about 3 days or so, then it's done.

Also, if it tastes good, then that's all that should matter. My Oatmeal Stout is stuck at 1.027, but tastes fine (needs a couple of months, but that's a given), so I'm just gonna keep it as is.

That's a pretty good number. Check it again in 2 days and see if it has stabilized. If it has you can go ahead and rack to secondary. If not give it another couple days and check again.

Just checked the SG again - and its still 1.012 so I've added my finings then I'll bottle them in about a week (dont have secondary setup yet:( )

I guess the problem could be that I just used the 7g yeast pack tha came with the can - the lady at the homebrew store said it would be fine and would save me $5, which as a student, is alot:D But I guess from now on, i'll stick with the quality yeasts.

beaumc said:
I guess the problem could be that I just used the 7g yeast pack tha came with the can - the lady at the homebrew store said it would be fine and would save me $5, which as a student, is alot:D But I guess from now on, i'll stick with the quality yeasts.

but you don't really have a problem......

You achieved 70% attenuation and all things considered, that's just fine for many yeasts & brews.

FWIW, you have other choices in dry yeasts besides what comes on the top of the can.

brewt00l said:
but you don't really have a problem......

You achieved 70% attenuation and all things considered, that's just fine for many yeasts & brews.

FWIW, you have other choices in dry yeasts besides what comes on the top of the can.

I guess so, but I used most dextrose, with some DME, so I thought I would get a get a higher attenuation - so although its not really a problem, its not what i expected.

BUT - as you said, all things considered: ITS STILL BEER!!:D

BTW - I have mainly used other yeasts, but this time i went off the advice of the lady at the hb shop...strange advice i guess?

Dont sweat it 1012 is not a bad FG - your not going to get a whole lot lower then that with a pale ale using any yeast. There is a good chance if you leave it another week or so it may possibly lose another point or 2. For a pale ale though it should be ok.

I know when I rack to secondary to condition my beer - I usually see a drop of 2-3 points in the next 2 weeks - im guessing you may have the same drop if you keep it in primary - in either case dont fret it - sounds fine - cheers!

Ohhh by the way regarding the yeast - I know alot of people on here and everywhere say that you should not use the yeast that comes with the cans - in my case I usually purchase the coopers kits - as long as the cans are well within the expiration date I find the yeast is fine - atleast i havent had a problem yet - then again ive only been brewing about 7 months but so far so good. I did purchase an expired kit once - but they gave me some fresh nottinghams yeast to go with it

grasshopper1917 said:
Ohhh by the way regarding the yeast - I know alot of people on here and everywhere say that you should not use the yeast that comes with the cans - in my case I usually purchase the coopers kits - as long as the cans are well within the expiration date I find the yeast is fine - atleast i havent had a problem yet - then again ive only been brewing about 7 months but so far so good. I did purchase an expired kit once - but they gave me some fresh nottinghams yeast to go with it

yeah I generally try to avoid the canned yeasts - but the can of extract I bought was Black Rock, which I've been told by quite a few brewers is pretty high quality, and teh yeast that it comes with is pretty good.

I was going to get some safale, but i was persuaded not to...

Anyway, took anotehr sample and had a taste - tastes pretty good - still a bit sweet but it should shape up to be a cracking beer!

Latest posts

Back