i need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhalingtrees

Reaction score
So I got a 13 gallon kettle, planning on making 10gallon batches but I need a mash tun.what is the easiest way to make one? I've seen the igloo ones and was wondering if its cheaper to make it myself and if the mash tun needs to be 10 gallons or if I sparge can it be smaller? Any help would be greatly appreciated

I just made one, though I made it using a rectangular cooler instead of a round one. 53 qt (little over 13 gal) cooler at target cost me $22, and then about $30 in parts I pieced together from home depot. Wish I had seen eastoak's link before hand, would have made life a bit easier.

Making your own MLT is easy. I would, however, recommend a larger cooler than 10 gallons for 10 gallon batches. I use a 5 gallon Igloo for 5 gallon batches, and I find that it is too small for bigger beers. I can fit 15 lbs of grain at 1qt/lb.

You need to use a false bottom or some sort of manifold. A bazooka screen work as well.

Just checked out the fittings seems expensive, with the kettle screen I'm not using a false bottom right?

right. there are a few ways to skin this cat and i posted bargain fittings because he's on these boards and gives good service, you can find the parts elsewhere but i'm not sure if there are savings to be had.

I'd recommend something like the 72 quart ice cube cooler and either build a manifold or use a stainless braid. Stainless fittings are slightly more expensive than brass, but they stay cleaner longer.

eastoak said:
so do i, a tight fit helps me keep my temps.

What size holes did you use in the copper?? Just along the bottom side?

Sent from my MB502 using Home Brew Talk

If i wanted a false bottom would i just lok for the inner diameter of my cooler?

I'd recommend something like the 72 quart ice cube cooler and either build a manifold or use a stainless braid. Stainless fittings are slightly more expensive than brass, but they stay cleaner longer.
listen to bobby! that is the way to go for what you want.

Checked em out.. i could probably make one in my works machine shop for cheaper. Think ill stick with my ring of stainless braid for now. Got some ideas for a build though from it

Back