Uh oh spaghettios temp problem...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhamade

Reaction score
So I am fermenting a blueberry apple cider with cote de blanc wine yeast from red star. I planned to keep it at 76, but it smelled bad so my friend put it on the back porch today. It was out there for about three hours and got up to about 86 degrees. What bad things may have or already have happened? :confused:

hopefully it just shocked the yeast a little and nothing more. Get that sucker back down to temp. The reality here is that your going to do the same thing regardless of what happened...drop the temp, put it in bottles, then drink it.

the better question is when did it happen in your fermentation cycle... the earlier, the more the effects will be. If it has already been going a few days, probably nothing, if it happened within 24 hours, you might get some fusal alcohols, or other off flavors. Hopefully they will clear with aging.

Tip for the future....When you title a thread "Uh oh spaghettios temp problem"..... People may well think you are actually making cider with spaghettios. We do all kinds of strange stuff here.....Just a heads up. ;)

What kind of friend just takes your fermenting cider and makes the executive decision to move it outside? That's not very nice.

Best suggestion is 1 taste it when you rack, or when you are supposed to take it out of the secondary - it it tasted ok, np.. rdwhahw (wine, not brew)... if it tastes harsh or such, I'd probably let it age in the 2ndardy (or 3ary) for more time. This way it can 'breath out' some of the harsh flavors without taking in o2 or anything else in the air.

let us know how it goes.

Back