stuck mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyPBar

Reaction score
hey guys. a month ago i brewed my first mead. og was 1.084. so today, 30 days later, i racked it to a carboy and took a reading. 1.030. the instructions said to keep the mead stored at 75-80 degrees. i kept it on my heating vent but most of the time the temp in my house is 65-70. did i mess up my mead or will it finish out? any help is greatly appreciated.

2 packets of wine yeast. No idea what it was exactly. Came with the kit. But it said the ending gravity should be 0.998-1.003

Did you use any nutrients?

Mead can take a long time to finish if there aren't sufficient amounts of nitrogen another stuff...

yeah it came with a mead blend packet with nutrients, acids, tannins, etc.

Since you racked, you may have left too much yeast behind. I'd go ahead and pitch some EC-1118 wine yeast soon...

grrrrr, ok i pitched a packet of EC-1118 about a week later, starting bubbling like crazy for like 4 or 5 days. so now almost 3 weeks later checked my gravity.. 1.018! i havent seen a bubble for 2 weeks. is this mead gonna finish or do i need to repitch... again? thanks guys.

I'd get some pH strips first (with a range that includes 3.0-4.0). If the pH is below about 3.2, that is likely a big factor. Simply pitching more yeast into a stuck batch rarely works because whatever caused the batch to stick in the first place will stun the newly pitched yeast. See Hightest's sticky at the top of the mead forum.

Back