Whats the best way to add ginger to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I'm making a ginger beer/braggot and the recipe calls for adding 6 oz's to secondary. Whats the best way to do it?? Can the ginger infect my beer if I don't take the correct steps?

I always soak my spices in a small amount of vodka and then add that into the beer at bottling or secondary.

when you say at bottling I can just put the ginger in the bottling bucket and after racking let beer sit for a few hours then bottle??

when you say at bottling I can just put the ginger in the bottling bucket and after racking let beer sit for a few hours then bottle??

I am using dry ground ginger so it all goes into the bottles/keg. If you are using fresh, this may not be the best way for you since it won't have a lot of contact time. I wouldn't rack to the bottling bucket and let it sit, however. Once it leave that safe CO2 environment, I want to get it into bottles/keg asap.

peel and slice the ginger as thin as you can, you want to increase the surface area as much as possible. Then I would use the ginger to make a tincture in vodka. The water and alcohol in the vodka will extract all the water and alcohol soluble compounds in the vodka. Let the slices soak in the vodka for at least a week, shaking thoroughly at least once a day or more.

We have very well decorated homebrewer in my HB club and this is how he does all of his spice beer.

I might go buy some powdered ginger and throw some in some vodka then throw it at the bottom of the bottling bucket with my priming sugar solution. Would that work??

hmmm interesting ... my main question is if I even need ginger to secondary I used about 8 oz in the boil and to some people thats alot.

uhhhh, wow, i truly hope to christ you're good with 8oz of ginger from the boil. If you need more than that you might just want to buy some ginger essential oil and dribble it directly on your tongue.... wow. That's a whole new level of ginger :)

I wanna try it, i loves me some strong ginger ale

I'm gonna bottle tonight. Can not wait to try it. I got the recipe off the site it sounds really good.

Back