CO2 bottle refill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
When you guys get your bottles refilled, do you usually get them exchanged? I contacted one company in my area and they just give you a full bottle in exchange for your empty. The reason i ask is i just bought a new 5 lb bottle and dont want to exchange it for some bottle that is about to have its hydro test expire.

Redskin, your best bet for a fill would be a fire extinguisher supply/fire equipment sales place. They fill the existing container. Good luck.

If you call around or stop in to places when they are not busy they may fill while you wait. I also would not take a freshly tested/new bottle in and then get an exchange.

I bring my to a local weld shop, they exchange it, but I always get a good bottle. I also had a brand new bottle, I usually can't even tell a difference besides having there company sticker on it.

I get mine refilled at a welding shop.

If they do not get your canister chilled first then they are shorting you of CO2...which equals to overcharging. A cold one accepts more CO2.

The guy, Dan, at the local welding shop will not fill my canister unless it's chilled.

I called around and found a welding supply shop out in the country that would fill my tank (It's part of my sales territory so no big deal). I have a brand new 10# tank as well and did not want a beater. I ended up getting one of their 5# tanks anyway because it fits my kegerator better. I use the 10 to carb beer in my garage fridge.

Regards,
Al

I just do a swap on my 20# and it only costs 16 dollars. The nice thing is the tank I originally had was beat up but on the swap out they gave me a nice painted tank that looks much better next to my fridge. Now I just need to replace my tank gauge that doesn't seem to want to move so I know how much they filled it.

A local supplier here will do it either way, I will opt to get my 20# refilled since the cyl is aluminum, $30

Back