Double IPA Grapefruit IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moerdertaktiken

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
2000ml
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
WLP650 - Brett B
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days, 63F
Tasting Notes
Huge grapefruit, citrus, dry, earthy, hay, crisp
I wanted to do something different and make a really straight forward, easy drinking and crisp IIPA. Now that I think of it, maybe it's not that different...but brew it and you'll see! The Zythos in this recipe are absolutely amazing. HUGE grapefruit aroma and flavor. I love the combination of simcoe/citra, and went with the Zythos on a whim, and i'm really glad I did! Brewed my first batch of this on 9/2/12 and it's already getting some really nice brett flavors/aromas that add HUGE complexity to this brew. I guess adding brett to an IPA is somewhat of an oxymoron, as brett improves with age and a proper IPA is meant to be drunk young; but trust me - don't skimp on the brett, it really makes this beer. The combination of the dry finish from the rye, the brett character and the dry hopping schedule really make this incredible. I'm going to brew this again very soon, with some slight modifications specifically on the dry hopping schedule. I'm also planning on getting rid of the flavor addition entirely and just hop bursting. I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks of this. I'll post some pictures soon. Check it out guys, CHEERS! :mug:

Ingredients:
10.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 71.43 %
2.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 14.29 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
1.00 oz Citra [10.80 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Zythos [10.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 44.1 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 28.6 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [10.80 %] (10 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
1.00 oz Zythos [10.50 %] (5 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1.00 oz Zythos [10.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7.14 %
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Brettanomyces Bruxellensis (Wyeast Labs #3112) [Add to Secondary] Yeast-Ale

Mash: Single Infusion @151 60min. You could do a double decoction if you'd like, it'd add some caramel notes along with a darker color and better efficiency. I'm thinking about that for the next time around.

Alright for an update... Here are some tasting notes and some photos

Appearance: Poured into a Teku glass. Dark straw/Golden color. Medium carbonation with tight bubbles, great lacing. Very cloudy.

Aroma: Grapefruit, tropical fruits, pine, strawberry. First impression is HUGE grapefruit, then goes into the more subtle earthy and hay/barnyard tones. Very complex. No alcohol on the nose to speak of. Hop forward (of course), but very balanced with the malt.

Taste: Matches nose exactly. Very smooth but strong hop bitterness in the front, followed by massive fruit juice. Finishes very dry and dissipates quickly, leaving the drinker ready for the next sip. Very drinkable and smooth, no alcohol on the taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium/high carbonation. Crisp and prickly.

Overall: Very drinkable IIPA. It's definitely worth brewing, even without the Brett. The star of the show here is the hops. Very balanced. Best IPA i've brewed to date.

Brett-rye IIPA.jpg

Brett-rye IIPA 3.jpg

Just before flameout, so I could maximize hop utilization. You could also add during secondary or midway through fermentation, as saccromyces prefers to eat simpler sugars such as glucose before it will consume more complex sugars (maltose). Point being: the corn sugar is such a small percentage of the fermentables, that it doesn't make a huge difference when you add it, although it could only benefit the beer to be added later during fermentation.

Update 11/10/13...Tapped the bottles early when I took the pictures. It's crystal clear now. Flavor has changed dramatically over the past week. Getting better and better!

Have you done a Extract brew of this brew
What kind of malt Extract should I use to replace the pale malt.

I'm sure someone else could chime in and come up with an almost exact extract version of this on beersmith, but you would just use maris otter extract in place of the base grain, logically. If you can't find Maris Otter LME then you could use pale/light extract and add ~1# or so of victory in the steeping grains to give you that biscuity flavor/aroma.

I'm making an IPA similar to this recipe with Extract. Will let you know how it turns out

Well I don't typically secondary unless i'm tight on fermentor space. I like to allow full fermentation, crash cool and THEN dry hop once it is bright. Also, I bring it back up to fermentation temp after it's bright, then dry hop. It's best to dry hop at this point, as opposed to directly after fermentation. The suspended solids will strip away hop resins, decreasing the effect of dry hopping.

The reason I ask is because your recipe says to add brett to the secondary. So I was confused on when to dry hop.

Ok. I'll do it in secondary as I don't bottle. And I don't want brett in my plastic speidel frementer.

I'd like to brew this up, sounds interesting. Can I get some clarification on how long did the Brett take to develop to the point you are at now? I'd likely add the Brett right into the keg and then let it age that way.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Question, re: water, since I see you're in Austin, too. Is the 5.2 stablizer all you add to the water? I'm assuming you filter, but no gypsum or other additives?

I brewed a 100% brett 644 IPA recently with galaxy and citra hops....I could have possibility been one of the best beers I have ever had. Excited to see you going out brewing brett IPA's. My next brett IPA is going on nitro...never heard of it, but you soon will see.

Latest posts

Back