Sparkolloid and clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_

Reaction score
So I am making some Skeeter Pee, (Skater Paay, phonetically I think.)

I purchased some Sparkolloid and have applied it to the Pee properly and I am really impressed with it! I put some Pee without Sparkolloid in a gallon jug to compare it with the main batch and even just a few days later it is dramatically cloudier than the main 5-gallon batch.

So a question: What CAN'T I apply this to? I understand the concerns with how hard this stuff is to use, it mixes up easily if you jostle the carboy but with that aside is there a downside to using it?

I have some red that hasn't started clearing so I am going to apply some Pectic Enzyme and then follow it with some Sparkolloid if it's not a bad idea. How long should I let the Pectic work before I apply the Sparkolloid?

Why wouldn't you use something like this to clear everything you are making? I have White and Red grape wine, Apfelwein, and SP all sitting right now waiting to clear.

Thoughts?

I'm not a huge fan of it because of how easily it mixes up. I've sucked some of it up while racking into the bottling bucket and it ended up in the bottles, which is worse than the sediment that would have formed naturally. Other than that, I like the stuff. I use it my white wines, apfelwein, ciders, meads, etc. My red wines clear pretty well on there own and do not need to be a clear, so I haven't been using them there.

Excellent, thank you BBBF! How long have you seen it take for your reds? This is my first red and it seems to be taking a LOT longer to clear than anything else.

It's my go to, the stuff is magic. If your wine is degassed it will only take 24-48 hours. If it's not then it stays cloudy for a week then turns into a lava lamp.

Excellent, thank you BBBF! How long have you seen it take for your reds? This is my first red and it seems to be taking a LOT longer to clear than anything else.

I'm only on my 3rd batch of red, so I don't have a lot of experience on how long it takes on average. Also, it is going to vary based on temperature, yeast type, tannins, etc. I am also not in a rush, so I have been letting my current batch age in the carboy since October. It's pretty clear now, but it could have been just ad clear months ago

Inner10 said:
It's my go to, the stuff is magic. If your wine is degassed it will only take 24-48 hours. If it's not then it stays cloudy for a week then turns into a lava lamp.

Hahahaha I need to keep a batch aside just for that;)

BBBF said:
I'm only on my 3rd batch of red, so I don't have a lot of experience on how long it takes on average. Also, it is going to vary based on temperature, yeast type, tannins, etc. I am also not in a rush, so I have been letting my current batch age in the carboy since October. It's pretty clear now, but it could have been just ad clear months ago

Awesome, thank you again. Even a ballpark is good:)

Back