Why does Malt Liquor taste so bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchar19

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a random curiosity I had. Why does malt liquor taste so bad? Is it too much adjunct or a rushed fermentation schedule for profit?

Mitch that actially is a great question. I used to love schlitz beer many year ago and it tastes way different now and not as appealing. I too would like to know because if it is a process issue I might give it a try and see if I cant clean up the taste a bit, at least enough to make it drinkable anyway.

Wheelchair Bob

I think one thing is it isn't very well ballanced and I am sure there is a lot of adjunct then throw in probably cheaper ingredients and more rushed brewing than Budweiser. I am sure you could make a pretty good one if you tried.

most likely a mix of super cheap ingredients, extremely fast production times, and extremely high abv for the style of beer it should be.

Depends on what brand you're talking about. I find Olde English 800 to be preferable to BMC beers. Though I understand that it's different incredients and processes up here than in the states in some cases.

I want to make a batch of Malt Liquor now that I know the secrets. Anyone had luck resealing the caps on a 40 with some Teflon tape?

Schlitz Malt Liquor is actually a preety good beer. Good BU's balanced with malt. You should give it a try.

I've had a few of the Schlitz in the past several months, and aren't they claiming to have gone back to a recipe from the 60's or something to that extent? Nevertheless, I think it's not too bad of a beer, but this is coming from a guy who prefers Miller High Life for his "go to" beer.

I tried a homebrew version that was outta this world,,,,was lagered for a few months, soooo friggin tasty…

Man I used to drink this on a regular basis 25 years ago (young n dumb) , if those 16 oz bottles were flip tops I'd seriously consider going out to get some

Ohh my young and dumb days. Drinking 2-3 40s of Colt 45. The good ole days lol.

I actually enjoyed Big Daddy J's Malt Liquor from Full Sail Brewery, but then I loved watching my college roommate try to beer bongi 2 40's of Olde E.

I've had a few of the Schlitz in the past several months, and aren't they claiming to have gone back to a recipe from the 60's or something to that extent? Nevertheless, I think it's not too bad of a beer, but this is coming from a guy who prefers Miller High Life for his "go to" beer.

Schlitz brought back the recipe from before they started lightening it up and making it cheaper. Different from their Malt Liquor Bull I believe.

Hey, if it's good enough for Lando, it's good enough for me!

images

CatHead said:
You don't even want to know how many of those I drank from the age of 17-19. Do they still even make Mickeys?

Yeah they still make them I still get a six pack of the hand grenades every now and again.

phenry said:
I want to make a batch of Malt Liquor now that I know the secrets. Anyone had luck resealing the caps on a 40 with some Teflon tape?

I haven't reused the 40's, but I bottled a malt liquor in the 32 oz Tecate bottles (Carta Blanca also uses them if you can find it). Not quite the same, but it worked great - especially with my homemade "labels". ;)

image-3401414039.jpg

The_Brewzer said:
I haven't reused the 40's, but I bottled a malt liquor in the 32 oz Tecate bottles (Carta Blanca also uses them if you can find it). Not quite the same, but it worked great - especially with my homemade "labels". ;)

And more on point, I have made malt liquors at home that kick the crap out of the 40's in the store. I suspect it is longer lagering periods, controlled ferm temps, and better quality ingredients. That said, I have made a malt liquor using cornstarch packing peanuts as the corn adjunct, and it still was better than Old E, so I don't know what that says about the quality of their ingredients...

Oh, this is gonna be hard to admit.
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
I actually like Steel Reserve. None of the others.

Oh, this is gonna be hard to admit.
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
ꜜ
I actually like Steel Reserve. None of the others.

Guilty as well... If I want something to kick my @$$ on the cheap this is my go to. It's amazing for beer can chicken too - fyi. Way better than any other canned beer I have used for it.

Yeah they still make them I still get a six pack of the hand grenades every now and again.

The correct term is "Brain Grenades". They are best served from a dorm fridge, turned up to 11, to get them so cold they start to ice when you open them up.........Yup, good times, from what I remember.

In order to salvage a little dignity, I'm having a Lavery, Liopard Oir (Farmhouse Brett Saison), some 5 year cave aged gouda, and sopressata salami. Then new good time.

LTownLiquorPig said:
I liked St.Ides even before I knew it was Covid endorsed; and Covid is, afterall, for the children.

I haven't had one in almost 15 years but I used to enjoy the hell out of it. Had no idea what good beer was back then.

Some buddies of mine used to play Edward Forty Hands, they'd duct tape forties to their hands and wouldn't cut them off until you finished them (obviously the taper/cutter didn't play). I did not partake but it was pretty hilarious.

monnie said:
The correct term is "Brain Grenades". They are best served from a dorm fridge, turned up to 11, to get them so cold they start to ice when you open them up.........Yup, good times, from what I remember.

In order to salvage a little dignity, I'm having a Lavery, Liopard Oir (Farmhouse Brett Saison), some 5 year cave aged gouda, and sopressata salami. Then new good time.

Negative. Hand grenades. Best served in the middle of the woods by a roaring pallet fire.

Some buddies of mine used to play Edward Forty Hands, they'd duct tape forties to their hands and wouldn't cut them off until you finished them (obviously the taper/cutter didn't play). I did not partake but it was pretty hilarious.

A few buddies of mine and I did that quite a bit. We got to the point where we realized we were just wasting duct tape since our stomachs were apparently coated in iron from guzzling so much Olde E and no one had to get up or do anything before they finished. Then we just decided to start doing the 80 oz dash.

4 words: St. Ides Special Brew.

It was my favorite in college.

Me and a friend were drinking those one night when he got pulled over. I was so sure we were going to end up in jail I gave his younger brother who hadn't been drinking the five dollars it took to bail me out the next morning. He held it together and with the lack of alcohol smell, the cop didn't even breathelizer him. For that reason alone St. Ides Special Brew will always hold a special place in my heart.

fizgig said:

We use to play this when I was a young airman in the dorms and at a buddies house in base housing. We had good times our only rule was the 40s had to be malt liquor.

In younger days,I waaaaas sippin' on a 40...:drunk:
But steel reserve got to be way better than colt 45 & the like. Malt liquor started feelin too sweet & heavy bodied to me at some point.

This is pretty good.

Dads.jpg

At Bottleworks in Seattle (best beer store I've ever visited) they have one slot in one of the coolers where they sell pre-brown-bagged malt liquor - actually, I think it may be just big cans of PBR some of the time - but one of the employees doodles a unique bit of art or graffiti on each one of the brown bags. Pretty fun.

Back