Alternatives to water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A7X

Reaction score
What would happen if instead of using water to brew beer you used milk or soda or some kind of juice? Would it effect the process at all?

I don't know about milk. I do know with soda and most juices they have preservatives in them that prevent yeast from fermenting the sugars and replicating. Using juice or soda would also raise your OG.

One person was thinking about trying to find out the mineral content of san pellegrino water to brew in.

Milk and juice are all other liquids you can drink are mostly.....wait for it......WATER :mug:

So the question you are asking isn't "instead of water," it's "if I added.....fruit juice...milk...etc. to the mash/boil?"

The answer to that is there are better ways to get those flavors into a beer than in the mash and/or boil.

I'm kind of just messing around with my next batch but I'm trying to make a high percentage beer that tastes like cherry soda. I'm gonna add cherry extract but I was thinking how good or bad of an idea it would be to just use cherry soda for water. Like ffaoe said I thought it would accomplish both my goals:

1) Higher OG
2) Tastes nothing like beer but high percentage.

I'm trying to make a point to someone.

Back