Ale temp fermentation issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonzobrews

Reaction score
I just did my first brew last night which is an Irish Cream Ale from northern brewer. I woke up this morning to check it out and I was happy to see highly active bubbles from the airlock. I noticed though that it seemed just a little warm so I checked the temp on the carboy which read 77. I know that this is too warm but my question is with it only being the first few hours of the fermentation, now that I am getting it to the 65 degree range, will this damage the brew at all or dramatically? I assume not due to it has another 2 weeks in primary but would like to make sure. Thanks for the help.

You could very well wind up with off flavors from the temp getting that high. Look into swamp coolers for future brews. Basically just stick your fermenter in a larger bucket/keg tub fill with water and regulate the temp by swapping out frozen water bottles a couple times per day.

You could very well wind up with off flavors from the temp getting that high. Look into swamp coolers for future brews. Basically just stick your fermenter in a larger bucket/keg tub fill with water and regulate the temp by swapping out frozen water bottles a couple times per day.

Thanks. I'll try this out and hope for the best. Glad I noticed sooner than later though.

That might work. Wort that is 77 degrees with no yeast would take a while to cool to 65. You may want to stick it in a swamp cooler without ice for twelve hours or so just to help displace the heat.

Back