Starter exploded...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsernst

Reaction score
Is that yeast on the outside? I'f so, what are the chances this starter is done for? There is still a small cake at the bottom, just not sure if I should pitch this or not.

image-2241348610.jpg

That's yeast on the outside. I would clean off the outside and sanitize. You can pitch it after cleaning and sanitizing but your cell count is lower than it should have been since some is on the outside.

Face Eater said:
That's yeast on the outside. I would clean off the outside and sanitize. You can pitch it after cleaning and sanitizing but your cell count is lower than it should have been since some is on the outside.

I don't even know if it is worth pitching though. The entire outside was coated.

You still have a bunch in the flask. I would just clean it and use it. Now, if it's a lager, I would also just decant and step it up one more time to be sure.

The reason this happened was lots of yeast activity.
The yeast wasn't concentrated on the top and all lost, the whole volume of liquid should have had yeast in it.
You have less yeast than before the blowout, but far more than you started with.

When a fermenting bucket blow off tube spews its mess, the beer keeps fermenting because there is still plenty of yeast in the wort.
Same thing.

pelipen said:
That's a neat pic. Looks like yeast frosty. What yeast is it?

White labs California ale. No nutrients just a cup of dme. Came home to a counter full of yeast throw up!

Cali Ale yeast top crops like crazy, you probably lost a good chunk of yeast.

What you have in your flask is totally fine, the only question is how much yeast did you lose out of the top. I'd guess you probably have about half as many cells as you planed on having. If you planned on having 200mil cells, you now have 100m.

Definitely don't throw that away, you have at the least a full vial's worth of healthy cells. Depending on the gravity of the beer you're about to brew, I'd either use it as is, or step it up, and ferment it a little cooler to keep it from foaming over.

Cali Ale yeast top crops like crazy, you probably lost a good chunk of yeast.

What you have in your flask is totally fine, the only question is how much yeast did you lose out of the top. I'd guess you probably have about half as many cells as you planed on having. If you planned on having 200mil cells, you now have 100m.

Definitely don't throw that away, you have at the least a full vial's worth of healthy cells. Depending on the gravity of the beer you're about to brew, I'd either use it as is, or step it up, and ferment it a little cooler to keep it from foaming over.

Thanks for the info. I pitched it last night as it was made for a fairly low gravity beer. It has been fermenting away since last night.

OMG....your starter has beer Aids....be careful what you do with it....

Just kidding, pitch away, happens all the time

I had the same yeast do this a couple months ago. I ended up with less in my flask than it looks like you have so I added an extra yeast pack when I pitched the starter.

You really neeed a 2L flask. I do starters with 4 cups water to 1 cup DME and have had a few crawl outside the flask a tiny bit. Your flask is only 1L.

I wouldn't use that.....just use a different sample to cultivate a new starter, or buy a new sample

Don't take risks with yeast, its the most important input to your beer, especially if you plan on re-harvesting like I do, and proper controls are necessary.

your whole next batch could easily be ruined, and that's a bigger hit than spending 7-8 more dollars on a new, fresh, uninfected batch of yeast

I wouldn't use that.....just use a different sample to cultivate a new starter, or buy a new sample

Don't take risks with yeast, its the most important input to your beer, especially if you plan on re-harvesting like I do, and proper controls are necessary.

your whole next batch could easily be ruined, and that's a bigger hit than spending 7-8 more dollars on a new, fresh, uninfected batch of yeast

Nah. Just relax and pitch that thing. I have them spew sometimes almost like that. I wouldn't toss a batch because it pumped out the blow-off tube either. It probably stepped up from 100 to 300 before the spew. You likely lost maybe 20% of your yeast. You still have more than a new pack of dry yeast. I only cover my starters with foil. If clean yeast makes its way out, I don't worry about it. The chance of infection is very slim.

+1^^^^^

Either one, but get something bigger - I use gallon glass jugs and this has only happened to me once - when stepping up a half gallon barleywine starter. Went to swirl the contents of the jug and it foamed up and came right out the top. I cleaned it up, used it, and it was fine.

I used about 900ml of agua and 1 cup of dme. I guess I could scale them both back a little. I don't do too many high high gravity beers, so I think the 1L may be sufficient.

This starter did in fact work like a champ.

Back