Review: Cooper's Bitter Beer Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
I hesitantly made this kit about a month ago. I was hesitant because I didn't really know what to expect from a "Bitter" beer. And then also after the less than stellar results I got from the Cooper's Draft and Lager kits that I've made, I was worried that I was going to end up with something that would be drinkable, not bad, not great, but disappointing for a homebrew.

I made the recipe exactly per the instructions using the recommended addition of a single package of Cooper's brewing sugar as the additional fermentable sugars. I think fermentation was complete in 3-4 days, but I let it sit in the fermenter for 2 weeks with no secondary and bottled. It was in bottles for a month before opening and sampling.

Well let me tell you, this beer turns out great! It was really easy to make, and wow it does taste good! As of now, this is my favorite one of the Cooper's beer kits that I've tried. If you've ever thought about trying one of the Cooper's kits, I would highly recommend that you seriously consider this one instead of their Lager, Draft, or Cervca can kits.

This beer really has a lot of flavor, its nice and malty and its got a pretty nice grape-fruit type citrus taste - definitely "Bitter" but not so bitter as you might expect from a beer named "bitter". I would definitely repeat.

Highly Recommend.

This was one of my earlier brews, but I have to agree. It came out excellent. Not real good at following directions though. I used their Amber LME instead of the Coopers Brewing Sugar. Also mixed it in after a 45 minute boil of one oz of Styrain Goldings Hops in one gallon of water. Dry hopped with Saaz.

There are two bottles left in the basement frig. Not sure what I’m saving them for, just don’t want it to be gone.

If I make it again I would like to mess around with the recipe a bit too. But I've been trying to follow the instructions exactly per recommendations at least the first time to get an idea of whats to be expected and to give an accurate review of the kit.

I am actually drinking some of them now. I also have been really enjoying the Coopers Bitter - it was a bit darker then I thought it was going to turn out but full of taste. I made mine with about 4 pounds of LME and 1 pound of liquid glucose. The ABV came out a little over 5 percent (5.3) so it is more like an extra special bitter.

I agree with what you guys said though it is nice and bitter - luckillly I like that style of beer - if you are more of a light beer drinker I would recomend trying something else.

Anyway nice to see you guys are enjoying the coopers bitter - I just bottled some coopers real ale last weekend - im hoping that turns out nice as well - cheers

Mutilated1 said:
I would highly recommend that you seriously consider this one instead of their Lager, Draft, or Cerveza can kits.

You really prefer this over the Cerveza? what are some pros and cons regarding these two brews?

I just think it tastes better. The cerveca kit is pretty bland and uninteresting by comparison.

Strictly my personal preference of course.

But on the other hand the cervace kit is the only beer that I've made that my wife, my sister, and my brother in law liked.

Yea I think it all depends on personal taste - the bitter to me has way more flavor and personality. Im not too big on any Cerveza - i fnd that style pretty bland and blah - but if you like that particular style the kit may turn out well for you.

Mutilated1 said:
But on the other hand the cervace kit is the only beer that I've made that my wife, my sister, and my brother in law liked.

So does your wife, sister, and brother in law have good taste?

:D j/k

I also have been really enjoying the Coopers Bitter - it was a bit darker then I thought it was going to turn out but full of taste. I made mine with about 4 pounds of LME and 1 pound of liquid glucose. The ABV came out a little over 5 percent (5.3) so it is more like an extra special bitter. [/QUOTE said:
The Coopers Bitter is supposed to be an English Bitter style of beer (unless you get the premium brand Thomas Cooper Bitter, which is more the pale Aussie bitter style) but I've made a few and can't get excited over them. I find it easier to use unhopped malt from Coopers and add my own hops / steeped grains and better yeast to get a type of beer. Maybe time for some of you folk to start getting more adventurous before you make the big AG commitments.

I dunno ive always generally been happy with the beer produced from the coopers kits. I probley will soon try a beer with some steped grains and hops - but for now I like the simplicity of the coopers kits - im having fun - and best of all love drinking it - so why mess with something that isnt broken?

That being said Id like to make a few brews with some steeped grains and adding the hops myself to see how it goes.

Anyone happen to know what the OG of the English Bitter Kit is supposed to be??? This is my first time brewing but i think I did alright with the Wort.

My OG was 1.040.

Thanks

I just made this kit last night with a few adjustments.

Used CBS Sparkling Amber LME and 30gms of Goldings boiled for 20mins.

Thought I'd try out a different ale yeast than the one provided in the kit.
Got a reading of 1.050.

Should be pretty interesting. These were suggestions made by my local HB supplier to make it better.

I'll let you know how it goes!

I have brewed several of these Coopers Bitter kits and it usually turns out great. I am now using 25 litres water (bottled water) which scales back the taste which I found a little too strong initially, and used about an extra 250 to 300 grams sugar to keep the alcohol level up to or slightly above the standard. Not having any brewing sugar, I replaced with supermarket bought organic sugar. Works well. I find the extra sugar takes longer to ferment and have given it up to 8 days instead of the 4 in the instructions.

I added a package of the Cooper's Brew Enhancer 2 to the basic English Bitters kit and it turned out to be very good.
Two weeks in the fermenter and I bottled a crystal clear ale that exceeded my expectations.

bosco

The Cooper's international series English bitter is also quite good with pit bbq,& as a base for mop sauce. When I brewed it,I used the .5kg box of Cooper's light DME & 1oz Haulertauer hops. Came out crystal clear & nice spicy/malty flavor that was bloody good. Gotta make more of that one. Pics in my gallery...:mug:

Back