Is this normal or a sign of infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walrusbt

Reaction score
It's my fourth brew and first in several months. I brewed this five days ago and its been fermenting nicely. I noticed a bunch of crap along ths sides though - this is probably normal but still not sure. I don't necessarily remember seeing this before during fermentation, but it does seem like I've at least cleaned something similar when I've cleaned the carboy later. There's a big blob of something floating though (see top left of photo). I'm not stressed about it or anything, but curious.:mug:

photo[1].jpg

walrusbt said:
Safale US-05

I don't have much experience with that yeast, but I still think your pic looks fine. That large clump floating reminds me of some of the high flocculating yeasts I've used where i end up with almost jello-like trub at the bottom of the fermenter. Infections tend to be less clumpy, white, and "bubbly".

I don't have much experience with that yeast, but I still think your pic looks fine. That large clump floating reminds me of some of the high flocculating yeasts I've used where i end up with almost jello-like trub at the bottom of the fermenter. Infections tend to be less clumpy, white, and "bubbly".

Thanks

I have a batch that looks just like that, and it's about 6 days in as well. In my case I got a real healthy fermentation with a lot of yeast in the krausen. As the krausen starts to drop after a few days some yeast clings to the side of the fermentor.. No worries!

Cool. I Also have a carboy that looks like that. I used a washed WLP001 CA Ale yeast with a starter and fermented @62-64 degrees. Thing took off like nothing I've see before... so bad I had to hook up a blow of tube in a 1/2 gallon bottle in a cooler.

Cool. I Also have a carboy that looks like that. I used a washed WLP001 CA Ale yeast with a starter and fermented @62-64 degrees. Thing took off like nothing I've see before... so bad I had to hook up a blow of tube in a 1/2 gallon bottle in a cooler.

Funny, but I could say the exact same thing! Mine was also washed wlp001 and also fermented very strong, also at 62-64F...

Back