2 week fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zokfend

Reaction score
i brewed an all-grain dead guy ale clone two weeks ago, using 1056 wyeast (don't ask why no pac-man yeast).

anyhow, og was 1.066. the recipe og was 1.063, so i was at the range i needed to be. well after two weeks in the fermentor, and no activity for several days, i decided to check my gravity last night. the gravity is 1.009. the target should be 1.015, so i'm glad to get a little extra alcohol out of it.

my question is: if it's still at 1.009 tomorrow night, should i go ahead and bottle it . . . or are there any benefits to it sitting on the trub any longer?

Let it go to three weeks mark check the gravity for any changes and then bottle. That way when you get it all carbed up it wont still be super green. Resist the urge to jump the gun.

I would also suggest letting it sit on the cake for at least another weak to clean up. Another week should help you get a nice clear beer and like mentioned before you wont have a green beer. I've jumped the gun before and when my keg is already half gone I notice a significant improvement in flavor and wish I had waited.

thanks guys. to be honest, i had to look up the phrase "green beer." i'll let it go another week and give it a full 3 weeks.

cheers.

In my opinion, if it's done fermenting and you don't detect any diacetyl.
Bottle it up.
There are no benefits to leaving it sit on the trub.

That's why if it already tastes pretty good,I'll give it 3-5 days after a stable FG is reached to clean up & settle out more. Tehn bottle for 3-5 weeks. Then at least 5 days in the fridge. But I found recently that 2 weeks in the fridge gives way better carbonation,& thicker head. Some bottles poured like it had marangue on top!

That's why if it already tastes pretty good,I'll give it 3-5 days after a stable FG is reached to clean up & settle out more.
it's interesting you say that, because after doing 5 batches since first starting homebrewing, none of my post-fermented wort tastes all that good before i put it in the bottle. i'm usually quite discouraged about it, . . . . until i crack one open after bottle-conditioning for 3 weeks and refrigerated. i've learned not to let the pre-bottled taste discourage me.

my orange and cilantro spiced saison tasted horrible when i went to bottle it. everything tasted so out of balance, and the orange spice was extremely strong. i figured i was going to dump that entire batch . . . . but after 3 weeks bottle conditioning, it's amazing how well it turned out, one of my best batches. i received many compliments on it.

That basically means that if you don't detect any "off flavors",then just give it that few days to settle out more. It also cleans up those off flavors if it needs it. I get very clear ales that way.
But you have to somewhat discount the spices,high hopping etc a little,since the beer is still green. Conditioning time isn't just for carbonation,it's for aging & melding the flavors as well in that same space of time.

Back