Started my first 4 meads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say this is a very addicting craft, I work at a brewery full time, just started brewing mead 3 weeks ago.

So far I have a Strawberry/vanilla Mead, Nectarine/Orange Mead, Black Berry mead and a Habanero Mead(just made today)

Here is a link to a few pictures of my mead making experience.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.195924917142648.48186.100001754227957&l=ea6fd31f38&type=1
Ha ha!, nice pictures there. Though I did notice that you appeared to be committing the sin of heating the honey/must......

What's the point of that ? After all, heating mead musts/honey etc is a discredited and old technique. Honey don't need pasteurisation as honey is already the most anti-septic material nature has to offer, as well as being anti-fungal etc. It's only when we water it down that it becomes an issue, so cleanliness and hygiene of brewing equipment is usually the best method, as that doesn't usually affect the flavour of the end product, heating does......

Ha ha!, nice pictures there. Though I did notice that you appeared to be committing the sin of heating the honey/must......

What's the point of that ? After all, heating mead musts/honey etc is a discredited and old technique. Honey don't need pasteurisation as honey is already the most anti-septic material nature has to offer, as well as being anti-fungal etc. It's only when we water it down that it becomes an issue, so cleanliness and hygiene of brewing equipment is usually the best method, as that doesn't usually affect the flavour of the end product, heating does......

Yea, I understand that honey is anti-septic+, Since these first 4 meads are melomels and the hab mead I am not to worried about the subtle floral notes due to the fact the fruit will be the main star, and they will be consumed within a year. In the future when making just straight mead I will just heat some water to dissolve the honey.

I can see boiling honey can destroy some flavor, but does bringing it to 150F really impact the long term subtle notes alot?

As for sanitation I am using Peracetic acid which seems to work great

Back