lactose, when to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lactose is unfermentable. It will affect the weight of the wort but will not ferment into alcohol. Therefore your Og reading after you add lactose subtracted from fg x 1.31 will give you a true alcohol content.

See results below from my experiement with Lactose, Dextrin and regular sugar.
Basically, lactose PPG would be 45, it needs to be boiled to properly dissolve and add some sweetness to the final beer, not a lot.
I Boil it for 10min.

Lactose.JPG

hmmm, would it be the same if I just added it at bottling?? I mean, i'd be more comfortable with my true OG and FG readings since there really isn't a definite number of how much it adds to the SG.

like can I boil it for 10minutes and cool it and at it to the priming bucket with the priming sugar?

If you add it at bottling (before the priming sugar) you can add a little or a lot depending on how sweet you want to make the beer. Add a little and taste the beer, if it needs more, add more, etc. (boil the lactose in water first).

10 minutes? Damn, just brewed a Milk Chocolate Stout and the recipe called to add at 60 min. Wonder how that will affect the lactose.

Preference maybe i see it all the time and never get definate answers. I did with my stout last 10 min. But stir it i noticed it coated the bottom even with stirring vigorously and pulling it from boil. I may add more at botteling if i feel it needs more although i used less than you to start. You should be more than fine with a pound.

Preference maybe i see it all the time and never get definate answers. I did with my stout last 10 min. But stir it i noticed it coated the bottom even with stirring vigorously and pulling it from boil. I may add more at botteling if i feel it needs more although i used less than you to start. You should be more than fine with a pound.

thanks bro! I decided Ill do it at 10mins. Ill just get a sample of the wart before I add it. That should be close enough of a reading, even though im sure the additional 10mins boil would condense the wort a bit more

Just to be clear... It doesn't really matter when you add the lactose, boiling longer than 10 minutes will have an unnoticeable affect, if any, on it. As with malt extract just make sure to stir it in good when adding so that it doesn't scorch.

Latest posts

Back