Better Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSTStorm

Reaction score
I'm going to place another order for some equipment and I see that people some times use Better Bottles. Do any of you? Are there advantages to these? If so, what are they and how do they compare to glass carboys?

Safer, cheaper, lighter than glass. The only thing I don't like vs glass is the wide mouth. I have to stick a rag in the top when racking to keep the siphon from moving around and stirring up truble.

better bottle also has suck back when you lift them. I ferment in cornies. To each their own! For every advantage one fermenter has it also has a disadvantage. Choose whichever one suits you best. There is no correct way, only what is correct for you.

I've been using them since I switched from buckets years ago. Light and won't slice your hand off if it breaks.

I carry mine in a milk crate to prevent the suckback from the airlock. I also use the orange carboy caps with 1/2" vinyl tubing for blowoff and never have any issues.

To clean them, I just soak them with warm Oxyclean ( and usually forget about it for a few days ), rinse and done.

I've never used a glass carboy. For my first brew, I used the bucket, but didn't like the fact that I couldn't see what was happening. My second brew I switched to a Better Bottle, and I've never looked back! I now have two 5 gallon and one 6 gallon Better Bottles. To deal with the "suck-back" when you pick up a full one, I simply remove the airlock AND drilled stopper, and put a solid stopper in while I move the bottle. That's almost always at bottling time.

glenn514:mug:

The glass is stronger, doesn't scratch as easy, and stays transparent. I wouldn't consider any thing else.

Do me a favor: take a glass carboy in one hand, a BB in the other, hold them 3 feet over a concrete floor and dropo them. Then get back to us about stronger.

Thanks for the comparsion. I have been thinking about getting a BetterBottle because the glass ones are so heavy and I have arthritis pretty bad. I only have 2.5 gallon & 3 gallon glass carboys, but the are heavy and very slippery when wet. My only question is will they discolour over age and with use?

I haven't seen any discoloration yet and have at least 20 batches on one of them. I don't know what affect iodophor will have though since I'm using Star San.

The glass ones aren't technically rated for negative pressures either, they just don't deform/collapse before they go critical.

I never had a problem with glass ones, but the vacuum is limited to 20 in/hg. In comparison a air conditioner vacuum can go almost to 30in/hg which is way too much. There has to be a cautious decision there.

Neither one will handle infinite negative pressure but the BB won't shatter like a bomb into a million little pieces of glass shrapnel when it fails.

BB FTW. All my carboys are Better Bottles except for one 6gal glass carboy. I have done many batches of beer in them, left beer and mead in them for months at a time with no ill effects. I even use a carboy brush on them to remove really stubborn krausen. A lot of people will recommend against it but I think the key is to be VERY gentle with it.

Besides the dropping issue, it seems like I might be able to find a harmonious balance with both. I appreciate all the input guys, that's great. I'm not sure, however, I understand the 'suckback' issue. What exactly is that? Perhaps I know of it but call it some thing else? Again, thanks for the input!

I have both and use both. I dont like the fact that I cannot use my vacuum sealer to degass on young wines in my BB so I just make sure they are in my glass instead.

I basically use whatever is cheaper because they are just used for aging til clarification for me. I transition to kegs for prolonged aging and use buckets for primarys so I can degass/step nutrient additions.

Besides the dropping issue, it seems like I might be able to find a harmonious balance with both. I appreciate all the input guys, that's great. I'm not sure, however, I understand the 'suckback' issue. What exactly is that? Perhaps I know of it but call it some thing else? Again, thanks for the input!

The plastic is not rigid. When you have it full of liquid and pick it up, the bottom pulls down and sucks through your airlock. One of the BB PITA's.

They're light and safe, but the suck back when you pick them up, so you can draw air into them through your airlock. it takes a little getting used to. You can pick them up, but it takes some practice. I'm personally done with glass.

i have both... i prefer glass or think i do anyways yet always grab the better bottles. i guess id just save money and get only those if i had a brain.

I have 5 glass carboys. 3 5ga and 2 6ga and I've never had a problem with them.

I havent seen any better bottles around here locally, and shipping to AK is just robbery. I'd be willing to try one though :)

Better bottles have their pros and cons but I like the idea that a BB will never just decide to quit on me.

Actually that's not quite true. I was cleaning a 3-year old better bottle a couple of months ago when I noticed cleaning liquid on the floor. I found a thin split in the bottom of the better bottle - fortunately it decided to split when it was only some PBW in it; it would be tragic otherwise.

That better bottle was not abused, but did spend most of its life sitting on a concrete floor in my garage. If you want something that definitely won't quit, think stainless steel.

Medsen

Actually that's not quite true. I was cleaning a 3-year old better bottle a couple of months ago when I noticed cleaning liquid on the floor. I found a thin split in the bottom of the better bottle - fortunately it decided to split when it was only some PBW in it; it would be tragic otherwise.

That better bottle was not abused, but did spend most of its life sitting on a concrete floor in my garage. If you want something that definitely won't quit, think stainless steel.

Medsen

I forget I have to be excruciatingly clear around here.
A Better Bottle will never just give up, and by give up I mean randomly and without notice disintegrate into a million shards of tendon and nerve shredding shards.
Yes, it will eventually, and very slowly, develop a crack that you will over time notice.

Ah! guess my response didn't take earlier.

I think I'll get a few Better Bottles and use the occasional glass carboy. The idea of one exploding isn't appealing.

Back