sam adams longshot beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ratdog

Reaction score
i just bought a case of longshots
3 beers in it

mile high barleywine----------good
lemon pepper saison-------yuckkkkkkkkkkk
old ben ale------------incredible i love it

Damn, I need to go pick up some of those.

Some thoughts/questions:
- The lemon pepper saison actually sounds frackin' delicious!!! Is it chile peppers or black peppercorn?
- Is the Old Ben Ale an old ale? (Stupid question, I'm sure it is. Just curious)

Damn, I need to go pick up some of those.

Some thoughts/questions:
- The lemon pepper saison actually sounds frackin' delicious!!! Is it chile peppers or black peppercorn?
- Is the Old Ben Ale an old ale? (Stupid question, I'm sure it is. Just curious)

Here is a quote from an article I found here. Looks like the Lemon Pepper Saison uses Grains of Paradise. (off topic: if you haven't tried it, Grains of Paradise make an awesome alternative to regular peppercorns in the kitchen. They are peppery, but slightly fruity. They were actually used for a long time when Peppercorns were too expensive to import into England. )

Michael Robinson’s Old Ben Ale is a malty English-style brew boasting notes of dried fruit, nut, and caramel. A slight bitterness balances the combination of five malts in this full bodied beer. Light brown with reddish highlights and good clarity, the ingredients of this English-style brew are all American with the exception of the yeast which is distinctively English. Created to enjoy on cold nights or as an after dinner treat, Mike’s Old Ale is 9% alcohol by volume, about twice that of the average beer. An experienced homebrewer, Mike was recognized as a finalist in the 2008 Samuel Adams LongShot American Homebrew Contest, as well as in the 2007 Samuel Adams® Patriot Homebrew Contest.

Ben Miller’s Mile High Barley Wine is a dark red, flavorful brew with rich plum undertones to complement its caramel malt flavor. A self-proclaimed ‘hop head,’ Ben used several varieties of citrusy American hops in this beer, creating its resiny aroma followed by clean bitterness. Ben’s Barleywine is his 100th homebrew, brewed to commemorate two years of enjoying the hobby.

Jeremy White, who works in the IT department at Samuel Adams, channeled his love of Belgian beers to create his Lemon Pepper Saison, a classic Belgian-style brew. Jeremy’s flavorful, refreshing and lighter-bodied beer is brewed with Grains of Paradise, an exotic tropical spice also found in Samuel Adams Summer Ale. The peppery flavor is complemented by a slightly sweet aroma with hints of vanilla and citrus, making this beer the perfect cool down to a hot summer day.

little disappointed
the lemon saison brewer is a sam adams employee. that should be against a rule or 2

no edcculus. id love to next year. im a newbie. only 4 batches under my belt so far, but im addicted. its the hobby ive been searching for. u enter?

I'm pretty sure that 2 slots are for homebrewers, and 1 they reserve for an employtee.

Yep, that is correct. Last year, the winning employee brewed her first beer ever, a DME and cranberry juice concoction that ended up winning. (not that there's anything wrong with dme)

Seems to fit the usual Longshot pattern: One really great beer, one decent beer, one undrinkable beer.

Last year it was an incredible bock, an okay cranberry wit, and an undrinkable IIPA.

ohh did not kno that
thanx robtotten
lemon saison yucky or not im jelous
what an honor it must be
good for him

little disappointed
the lemon saison brewer is a sam adams employee. that should be against a rule or 2

No, employees can not win the Longshot comp. They can win the employees comp and get in the six pack that way.

All I ever hear around here is that homebrew is always better than commercial beer, you would think you would be grateful for employees of BBC entering.

I was at first suspicious that my two bottles of the IIPA were bad somehow... But I posted here and several others posted the same.

And I love IIPAs generally... it's my favorite style.

I'm pretty sure that 2 slots are for homebrewers, and 1 they reserve for an employtee.

IIRC from a Jim Koch interview I read/listened to, this whole thing developed out of an internal company homebrewing competition that they later expanded and added this six pack to.

There always seems to be one Sam Adams employee that ends up in the finalists and winners. I'm fine with this as long as they are blind tasted along with the other entrys. If it's a good brew it doesn't matter to me if Koch him self brewed it on a keggle system. I wil agree though that for being judged by some SA royalty they have let some sub par brews through to win.

There always seems to be one Sam Adams employee that ends up in the finalists and winners. I'm fine with this as long as they are blind tasted along with the other entrys. If it's a good brew it doesn't matter to me if Koch him self brewed it on a keggle system. I wil agree though that for being judged by some SA royalty they have let some sub par brews through to win.

It's not just that it _seems_ like one Sam Adams employee is in there--there's always one, and he/she isn't allowed to compete against the general homebrew field.

The rules are that 2 homebrewers win (no Sam Adams employees are allowed to compete in that field), and 1 Sam Adams employee's brew wins.

I was at first suspicious that my two bottles of the IIPA were bad somehow... But I posted here and several others posted the same.

And I love IIPAs generally... it's my favorite style.

I gotta think that has to do with Sam Adams. They don't really do very hoppy brews. The reason I say this is that the IIPA was Mike McDole's beer, and he's won multiple awards for his hoppy brews.

And yeah, there's a separate contest for SA employees. Apparently they all learn how to brew when they're hired. Frankly, I love the idea, and I think the fun it generates in house is probably worth whatever flack SA takes for it.

do the employees have to enter in 23a every year? lemon pepper saison, cranberry wit, grape ale, berry wit

do the employees have to enter in 23a every year? lemon pepper saison, cranberry wit, grape ale, berry wit

Looks like this year's comp is strictly limited to category 23. Should be interesting.

I had also heard that SA buys the kits for their employees to enter. Any truth to that?

I gotta think that has to do with Sam Adams. They don't really do very hoppy brews. The reason I say this is that the IIPA was Mike McDole's beer, and he's won multiple awards for his hoppy brews.

And yeah, there's a separate contest for SA employees. Apparently they all learn how to brew when they're hired. Frankly, I love the idea, and I think the fun it generates in house is probably worth whatever flack SA takes for it.

Yeah, that's what surprised me so much. I respect the guy quite a bit and I know he knows what he's doing. The whole reason I bought the six pack was to try his beer. I agree it must be something that happened along the way and not the recipe.

Looks like this year's comp is strictly limited to category 23. Should be interesting.

Seriously disappointing, although I guess it gets the creative juices flowing.

Regarding the IIPA, as someone mentioned it was Mike McDole's beer but I also heard somewhere (Jamil podcast??) that it was a Pliny clone.

i heard it wasnt the exact same. for example, mcdole uses some corn sugar in his, but sam adams didnt in the longshot 6pack

Back