Clone recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
On a whim, I sent an email to the brewmaster of my favorite brewpub asking for clone recipe help. He was very kind in providing a nearly complete recipe. I have a few questions about the recipe. I would prefer to do some homework myself and not to bother him again with more questions. I am listing the recipe he provided below and then my best guess. Please feel free to comment and provide feedback. There are a couple of specific questions I have, listed below. Thanks for your help.

Recipe #1 is a malty, british-style pale ale which leans towards an IPA.

Here's the recipe I received:

92% high color pale malt
4% crystal 70 lov.
4% caramalt

Hops- Cluster and Centenial for bittering, Cascade and Glacier Aroma, Cascade dry hop

English ale yeast

1.062 O.G.
46 IBU

Here's my best translation for a 6 gallon all-grain batch:

13.7 lbs Marris Otter
0.60 lb Carafoam
0.60 lb Crystal 70

Mash at 152 for one hour, batch sparge.

Cluster 1oz 60min
Centennial 1oz 60min
Cascade 0.5oz flameout
Glacier 0.5oz flameout
Cascade 1oz dry hop for one week

Ferment at 66 degrees with WLP002 English Ale Yeast with starter

This gives me 1062 OG with 48 IBU.

Questions:
1. Do you think the mash temp is appropriate for this style and yeast?
2. Would I notice a difference if I just used Cascade exclusively for aroma and dry hop (1oz for each)?
3. Is 1oz total for aroma hops appropriate?
4. Crystal 70 sure is hard to find. Can I substitute Crystal 60?

Recipe #2 is an oatmeal stout.

67% high color pale malt
2% crytal 70
4% wheat malt
3% brown malt
4% chocolate malt
4% roast malt
8% unmalted flaked oats
8% unmalted flaked barley

hops- cluster for bittering, Willamette for aroma

English ale yeast

1.063 O.G.
31 IBU

Here's my translation for a six gallon all-grain batch:

10.3 lbs Marris Otter
1.23 lbs flaked barley
1.23 lbs flaked oats
0.62 lb chocolate malt
0.62 lb roasted barley
0.62 lb wheat malt
0.46 lb brown malt
0.31 lb crystal 70

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes, batch sparge

1.3 oz Cluster, 60 min boil
1 oz Williamete at flameout

Ferment at 66 degrees with WLP002 English Ale Yeast with starter

This gives me 1062 OG with 30 IBU.

Thanks for any help and input.

Eric

It is always great to find a brewer who is as open with their time/recipes as we homebrewers are.

Looks like you did a good job translating the recipes. If you want to consolidate the hops on the first one you could probably get away with just glacier at flameout (that way you would have both in the aroma profile). Any medium crystal will do, but it will have a slightly different character (probably from a different maltster).

It is always great to find a brewer who is as open with their time/recipes as we homebrewers are.

Looks like you did a good job translating the recipes. If you want to consolidate the hops on the first one you could probably get away with just glacier at flameout (that way you would have both in the aroma profile). Any medium crystal will do, but it will have a slightly different character (probably from a different maltster).

Thanks for the help. I was thinking about just going with Glacier exclusively at flameout. I think that Crystal 60 would not be too far off either. If I really like the way it turns out, I might just order a bag of Crystal 70 online, it seems like that brewer likes it a lot.

What do you think about the mash temp?

Eric

Back