Big Hop Taste no Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to try and come up with something similar to St. Peter's Organic Ale. In England its called St. Peter's English Ale. I don't know if anyone is familiar with it but I love it. It has big hop flavor, but not so much bitterness. I've learned that they use Halleratu in that particular beer and they are quite low AA%. What would be the best way to emulate this? Should I use most of the hop schedule toward the end of brewing.

Exactly. Try to get 60% of your IBUs from additions in the last 15min of brewing, you'll get big flavour. Hallertau are delicious; try the other noble hops as well (hallertau, saaz, tettnang, strisselspalt). It might not be cheap with hop prices being what they are, but it should be worth it.

No one seems to be familiar with this particualr beer. I really would like to recreate something similar though. The research I've done so far has got me nowhere. The only thing that seems to be repetitive is that it is made with "light malt from Norfolk" and I got someone from St. Peter's to tell me that they use New Zeland "Hallertan" hops. Also, everyone says that it is very traditional to the English style. What the hell does that mean?

My thoughts exactly. There is something about this beer that is very simple but the flavor is not quite like anything else I've had. If it's not a SMaSH, there can't be many more ingredients. I'm going to have to get Beersmith, I think, to try and come up with a recipe that can do this justice. Maris Otter and Hallertau. I need to get the hop schedule worked out. Unless someone has any good suggestions. Can't say for sure, but I would put the IBU's between 18-22.

I just did a beer with late additions of Amarillo and Centennial for a big hop flavor. Keeping that in mind, here is a recipe that should put you at around 20 IBU's and have a nice flavor. I did the hop schedule in beersmith using German Hallertauer with 4.6AA. You may have to adjust according to your variety and AA%

Maris Otter (or less, depending on eff)
.75 oz Hallertauer - 20min
1.5 oz Hallertauer - 10min
1.5 oz Hallertauer - 5min
1 oz Hallertauer - flameout
1 to 2 oz Hallertauer - dry hop

Back