Selecting a carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kschroeder

Reaction score
I was wanting to get a plastic carboy for fermentation. Can I use a purified 5gal water jug as one or would this not work properly? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wouldn't. I use a 6 gallon carboy at minimum. You'll need some extra space for 5 gallon brews. My favorite fermenter is my 7.8 gallon plastic bucket that I picked up at my local home-brew store.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My local home brew shop talks up the better bottles like crazy. For a non lager fermentation(or anything else over a few weeks) they sound like the way to go.

I have a glass carboy for a wine I'm making and I can see why people suggest plastic. The glass is quite heavy especially when filled and also kinda fragile.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use buckets for primary and then transfer to 5 gallon Better Bottles for secondary/brightening. I don't need to see what's going on in the bucket during primary but it's nice to be able to see stuff clear in secondary.

I use these in the buckets and get the ported Better Bottles with the racking adapter. That lets me get every drop of goodness out of both.

Back