Thoughts on a Black Forest Stout (BCS)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
About a month ago I made up a Black Forest Stout from Brewing Classic Styles. Made it exactly per the extract recipie with 8oz of unsweetened coco powder at flameout and racked onto 6lbs of cherry puree once fermentation slowed down. All went well.

Fast forward to today....

Took a sample today and while the final gravity was a happy 1.015 the sample was a bit bland. I really didn't get any chocolate and very little cherries.... aroma or taste. Kind of disappointed so I'd like to augment it and like some input.

Picked up 8oz caco nibs. Currently steeping them in about 350ml of vodka. How long should I keep them there to extract a proper amount of flavor? Going to toss the slurry into secondary soon.

Been tossing around the idea of either using some sort of black cherry juice/concentrate or even going the route of an LD Carlson artifical extract. Thoughts on amounts, different products or possibly a combo to get some cherry goodness in there?

Back