S04 and stuck fermentations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Is it just me? Each time I use S04 it seems to crap out if the temperature goes under 65F. I love dry yeast but it seems to be hard to get a clean profile and a dry beer with this stuff.

I use pure o2 and never have this problem with any other yeast.

The recommended lower end of the temp range for that yeast is 59 degrees. Most that use it like to keep it in the low 60's for better flavor.

If you're having issues with it dropping out then I suspect your temp is dropping lower than 65. Either that or your pitching too warm. I've found that with S-04 if you drop your temps more than a couple of degrees then it likes to floc out.

I pitch at 60-63 then ferment at 63 for 4 days. After that I ramp the yeast up 1.5F every day until I'm up to 76-78F. Then I start bringing my temps down and cold crash. Never had a problem with S-04 using this method.

Hope this helps.

I used it a couple of times. The first one in a Bitter, 20° Celsius, fermentation stuck @ 1016. Bottled after 18 days. A *little bit* carbonated, but I did 2.0 CO2 vols :pipe:...it continued to eat the wort, IMO
Second one, an Irish Stout, 20° Celsius, stuck fermentation @ 1013 for two/three days (after two weeks of fermentation). Left another couple of days, reached 1011

I got to say I like S04.
I just made an all grain IPA with a 1.070 SG, and its down to 1.014 in 2 days. I used 1 pack S04 and 1 pack Nottingham. This was fermented at 68°F.

Back