Airlock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,if it starts bubbling steadilly,it'll go on for as little as one day to as much as 5 days ime. some don't bubble at all,but ferment out nicely.

There is no one answer to that question. Sometimes an airlock will never bubble. It is not a fermentation gauge. All bubbling means is that the pressure outside the fermenter is less than inside. Then the airlock will bubble if the fermenter is tightly sealed.

I have one bucket that the lid does not seal perfectly and that one rarely bubbles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Measuring fermentation by airlock activity is a very inexact science.

I've rarely had the steady once-or-twice-per-second bubbling within x hours that some people describe. However, you should start to see some krausen or other activity in the fermenter within 24-48 hours (probably sooner). Just try not to obsess over it too much...brewing is not an impatient man's hobby.

drainbamage said:
Measuring fermentation by airlock activity is a very inexact science.

I've rarely had the steady once-or-twice-per-second bubbling within x hours that some people describe. However, you should start to see some krausen or other activity in the fermenter within 24-48 hours (probably sooner). Just try not to obsess over it too much...brewing is not an impatient man's hobby.

U got that right, not for the impatient! I think the trick is to do a brew every week to keep yourself occupied. Not to mention lots of beer is not a bad thing! Lol

U got that right, not for the impatient! I think the trick is to do a brew every week to keep yourself occupied. Not to mention lots of beer is not a bad thing! Lol

You are right. Patience is much easier with a good pipeline and a nice supplu of brews. When I started it was agony waiting for a brew to finish and then waiting agin for it to condition and carb up.

Now I just forget about them and let them go. Half the time I have to look in my brew log to remember what I have in the fermenters.

beergolf said:
You are right. Patience is much easier with a good pipeline and a nice supplu of brews. When I started it was agony waiting for a brew to finish and then waiting agin for it to condition and carb up.

Now I just forget about them and let them go. Half the time I have to look in my brew log to remember what I have in the fermenters.

I'm new to the whole bre thing, but I love beer so I jumped right in. My second brew I tried my own recipe and dumped it out 3 times already. I'm trying to create a Creamcicle ale for my wife. I dove right into making mini mashes and experimenting with spices ( not a great idea). I'm gonna try again today. In the mean time I have done a bunch of simple brews all have turned put delicious! If you want to c my recipe and maybe help me out check out all my posts I posted it in recipe forum. Any help would b appreciated

unionrdr said:
For the creamcicle ale,you might try orange zest & lactose.

Does the lactose give that creamy vanilla flavor or do I still add vanilla bean to secondary to taste. And lactose goes where in the boil?

Add the lactose at the end of the boil to dissolve. It'll give a cream ale like flavor,but you'd have to add some vanilla to get that part of the flavor.

unionrdr said:
Add the lactose at the end of the boil to dissolve. It'll give a cream ale like flavor,but you'd have to add some vanilla to get that part of the flavor.

Thanks unionrdr
I'm gonna try again today I'll keep u posted

Good luck. My ale that thinks it's a light lager is going about the same way. Tried 1 bottle of version1 after it cooled down well last night. The combination of fruity esters from the Cooper's ale yeast & the all NZ hop combo I used has it tasting like a slight white wine-like sweetness. Changing yeast & hops to get it more like a Euro light lager. Looks like we both got some more work to do...:mug:

unionrdr said:
Good luck. My ale that thinks it's a light lager is going about the same way. Tried 1 bottle of version1 after it cooled down well last night. The combination of fruity esters from the Cooper's ale yeast & the all NZ hop combo I used has it tasting like a slight white wine-like sweetness. Changing yeast & hops to get it more like a Euro light lager. Looks like we both got some more work to do...:mug:

I think I'm gonna b a little smarter and try a 21/2 gallon batch instead of dumping out 5! I have been experimenting with spices like fennel, I did a 21/2 gallon boil added fennel let it cool than tasted it. I try that with a lot of diff spices fruit etc. What r your thoughts on doing that

We did spices a couple times with the BB summer ale kit. It's a shock top clone basically. That's about it for me. Haven't done any spiced pumpkin strawberry kinda stuff yet.

OP - I'm currious... why did you dump? I've found that when my beer doesn't match my expectations, it isn't a bad beer, just expectation miss match. Like thinking you are ordering beef and getting lamb... both taste good, but the flavor is off from expectation.

Now I can see that if you added to much spice you'd be like "Great all I can taste now is Basil!" you would dump. But if the not quite creamcicle ale was drinkable I'd personally keep it and keep working on it for my wife.

I've not done a lot with spices. So corriander for a belgian wit style. That was in for part of the boil, but I don't think the whole thing, also it was crushed/cracked not powered. I've done spices in mead but those went into the secondary.

ACbrewer said:
OP - I'm currious... why did you dump? I've found that when my beer doesn't match my expectations, it isn't a bad beer, just expectation miss match. Like thinking you are ordering beef and getting lamb... both taste good, but the flavor is off from expectation.

Now I can see that if you added to much spice you'd be like "Great all I can taste now is Basil!" you would dump. But if the not quite creamcicle ale was drinkable I'd personally keep it and keep working on it for my wife.

I've not done a lot with spices. So corriander for a belgian wit style. That was in for part of the boil, but I don't think the whole thing, also it was crushed/cracked not powered. I've done spices in mead but those went into the secondary.

The flavor out of the bottle was like charcoal not too pleasant! The recipe is posted do if you would like check out my other posts any help would b greatly appreciated.
Cheers

I'd never discourage experimentation, but I find after years of brewing how many amazing flavors I can get out of traditional ingredients keeps me well satisfied. Wanna taste dried fruit? Mash warm with some toasted grains and ferment with a quality Belgian yeast. Like a blast of citrus? Try a newer hop variety like citra or mosaic. Like chocolate, make a stout with roasted grains that'll have everyone who tastes it swear there's actual chocolate in the recipe. Fruit additions certainly have their place in brewing, but not in a beginner's brew in my opinion. Without a solid foundation of understanding fermentation variables, yeast strains, grain types and hop varieties, your chance for success is limited. I understand the allure of throwing this or that into a brew, but trust me, focus on your process before getting too creative and you won't be disappointed. Fruit in a beer walks a very thin line of too much, and can't taste it at all. When you experiment with traditional ingredients, you don't always hit your mark, but you rarely brew a throw away. Not to mention what you learn applies to EVERY beer you brew, not just your strawberry shortcake weisse!

Demus said:
I'd never discourage experimentation, but I find after years of brewing how many amazing flavors I can get out of traditional ingredients keeps me well satisfied. Wanna taste dried fruit? Mash warm with some toasted grains and ferment with a quality Belgian yeast. Like a blast of citrus? Try a newer hop variety like citra or mosaic. Like chocolate, make a stout with roasted grains that'll have everyone who tastes it swear there's actual chocolate in the recipe. Fruit additions certainly have their place in brewing, but not in a beginner's brew in my opinion. Without a solid foundation of understanding fermentation variables, yeast strains, grain types and hop varieties, your chance for success is limited. I understand the allure of throwing this or that into a brew, but trust me, focus on your process before getting too creative and you won't be disappointed. Fruit in a beer walks a very thin line of too much, and can't taste it at all. When you experiment with traditional ingredients, you don't always hit your mark, but you rarely brew a throw away. Not to mention what you learn applies to EVERY beer you brew, not just your strawberry shortcake weisse!

I will take your advice! I want to b able to enjoy the fruits of my labor, no pun intended. Throwing your work away is not rewarding!

Do a search for an article by Drew Beechum, " brewing on the ones". Great info...

So, If the air lock is not being that active it could just mean its not sealing right and I shouldn't have to add more yeast?

So, i'am fermenting Pikes ipa from Midwest brewing and my more experience brewing friend said that this one should be more active is that true?

No. some are going to go starl raving berzack. Others won't make a peep. That's the way ferments are. Every one is different. The style isn't going to dictate how aggressively it ferments.

Back