Kegarator/Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelm

Reaction score
I know it's been forever since I have posted anything on here so I thought I would share... Sorry for the wall of txt and pics but... well its worth it :)

Took a break from airguns in the shop and decided it was time to build myself a nice kegarator.... I am so tired of bottleing my beers and quiet honest tired of having that many beer bottles sitting around so it is time to move to kegs :)

Basicaly I started out with a plain white chest freezer so I had to build a collar for the taps to come through....

I also decided to attach the collar to the lid so the whole thing lifts up instead of the freezer body for 2 reasons as well... First so I didnt have to lift full kegs another 8+ inches to get them into the freezer and second when putting kegs into the freezer I dont have to dodge tap shanks and barbs and maybe break something/knock something loose.... this way when I open the lid the whole collar lifts up moving the taps/shanks and most the hosing right up outta the way.....

first step was to build the collar and attach it to the lid.... I did this by removing the stock seal around the lid and measuring the groove that the seal sits in.... then I took some 4 inch tongue and groove boards and ripped them down the middle into 2 2inch wide boards one with a tongue one with the groove... the tongue boards got cut to make a box that snaps into place in the stock grooves on the lid..... then around that I measured and cut the 1x8 popular boards that makeup the body of the collar itself then cut the 2 inch groove boards to fit inside the bottom of the box making a new groove for the factory seal to snap in place.... collar snapps into the lid the seal snaps into the collar and it all fits back together like it was made that way :)

groove in lid
20121231_193659.jpg

top of collar with tongue
20121231_193351.jpg

bottom of collar with groove
20121231_193321.jpg

Then I laid out the holes for the tap handles and the cutout for the PID controller I am using to control the freezer temps.... snapped everything together for a test fit.

20121231_193542.jpg

Now I started the stain... after spending alot of money of a high quality stain and testing it on some scraps I was VERY dissapointed.... this popular has some very nice grain but the stain just covered it up and made the wood look "muddy" instead of pretty and nice wood.... so did some research and learned that stains are mostly opaque dyes and have a tendancy to cover the grain and what I needed was a wood DYE they color the wood but keep the grain nice and sharp and make it "pop" .... more research reveals wood dyes are not so cheap either but a great way to DIY it is to mix RIT dyes to get the color you want so thats what I did... 5 bucks worth of RIT dye later and I have this sexy color starting to emmerge
20130111_202420.jpg

20130111_202316.jpg

couple more coats of that to get to the nice dark reddish brown I was looking for and time to seal it up
20130115_232733.jpg

20130115_232824.jpg

Now for the freezer.... no way was it staying white so I filled in some small dents and scratches masked off the front 5 inches of the lid and painted it with chalkboard paint so I can write right on it whats in each tap then painted everything else a hammered black finish...
20130119_213236_zpsef7765d4.jpg

20130119_221240_zpse5222075.jpg

then painted the rest of the freezer and control parts put it all together wired her up
20130203_153305_zpsa6acbb88.jpg

20130201_131938_zps581280e4.jpg

20130201_131737_zps57d9d2eb.jpg

20130203_234733_zps17cebdc2.jpg

20130204_010927_zpsba49940e.jpg

And lastly programmed the PID controller to hold the temps I want and poured myself a nice fresh from the tap beer

20130204_012408_zpsbaeef91e.jpg

Can we see a shot of the inside...and how did u attach the lid to the wood riser?

Excellent job by the way...very nice.

Nice job. Did you paint the rubber seal

Nope I left it white.. in the picture with the lid open you can see how it sits back from the edge a bit so when its closed unless y ou get down eye level with it you cant really see the seal anyways so I left it be...

Drip tray or no?

Yup just need to attach it.... going to go the 9 dollar stainless steel smoker box from lowes route and attach magnets and use it for the drip tray.... they honetsly look VERY good in person... not cheesy at all...

Can we see a shot of the inside...and how did u attach the lid to the wood riser?
Excellent job by the way...very nice.
I only have one Keg in it right now but I can go take a pic tomorrow of the inside.... I still need to route the wires for the controller neatly and insulate the inside of the coller but since its damned cold out here and this is staying in the garage for now I wasnt to worried.... needed to get it out of the shop so I can get started on the grainmill I am starting tomorrow....

If you go back and look at the first 2 pictures in the post the groove in the lid just litteraly snaps into place on the tongue thats on the top of the collar no need for glue or anything else as its a very very tight fit

Where did you get the temp controller? Easy to setup/install?
Thanks!

I got the PID controller the SSR(solide state relay needed for the high amp aplication of switching the motor on and off) and the RTD type pt100 temp probe all for right around 40 bucks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Digital...526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c5a9171e

I bought it from a different seller but this is the exact setup I started with....

its VERY easy to setup and wire especially if your familliar with electronics or really anytype of electrical wiring....... its not as simple as just plugging it in and plugging the freezer into it there is some rewiring of things that has to be done BUT you have alot of option with a setup like this too(that and it just looks REALLY cool :) )

there are a few settings you do need to set though that if you dont have them right can cause problems....

Thanks for the compliments guys I spent alot of time figureing and making it just right.... I am NOT a wood worker more of a metal fab guy so I took extra time and care to get the collar all smooth and pretty and the right color and such... that was to me the hardest and most labor intensive part of the build

What size freezer is that? I have something VERY similar in the works.

michaelm said:
its VERY easy to setup and wire especially if your familliar with electronics or really anytype of electrical wiring....... its not as simple as just plugging it in and plugging the freezer into it there is some rewiring of things that has to be done BUT you have alot of option with a setup like this too(that and it just looks REALLY cool :) )

there are a few settings you do need to set though that if you dont have them right can cause problems..../QUOTE]

Is there a wiring for dummies walk through somewhere?

michaelm said:

there are a few settings you do need to set though that if you dont have them right can cause problems..../QUOTE]

Is there a wiring for dummies walk through somewhere?

Not that I know of unfortunatly :( if you or someone decided to go that route I would be more then happy to post my wiring diagram on how i wired mine up.... but different freezers might/probably have slightly different wiring

Awesome job! I'm thinking on the same line when I build my bar, that should fit right in. Could you post the grain mill project as well?

Awesome job! I'm thinking on the same line when I build my bar, that should fit right in. Could you post the grain mill project as well?

Thanks!

Oh yea will be making a seperate thread for the grain mill... been out in the shop all day today working on it... got the frame done and the roller about 99% done just need to do a cleanup pass on the face and then knurl it.. just have to finish the shafts and bushings tomorrow.... so will probably make a post tomorrow night or sunday some time :)

Back