Late extract additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmaster_CPA

Reaction score
Since it is widely accepted that doing late extract additions is the best way to make good extract beers, why do all kits still say to add all the extract at the beginning? I never really understood this. I think it's really confusing/frustrating for new brewers when they follow the directions perfectly and don't get good beer in the end.

Yeah,they wanna keep it as simple as possible. Not to mention,the time lines also suck major. Just study on here for what we like to call the right way...

There are some larger retailers that have you add the extract late. I think Northern Brewer may be one.

The reason is pretty simple, actually- it's a relatively new method.

I was reading Zymurgy about two years ago, and Charlie Papazian said in an article that he never heard of doing this and that it would be ridiculous. :p

But now it's widely accepted.

Yooper said:
There are some larger retailers that have you add the extract late. I think Northern Brewer may be one.

The reason is pretty simple, actually- it's a relatively new method.

I was reading Zymurgy about two years ago, and Charlie Papazian said in an article that he never heard of doing this and that it would be ridiculous. :p

But now it's widely accepted.

What would be considered late? I just did an American Rye kit from Northern Brewer and instructions had me adding the liquid extract right at boil and boil for 60 min

I use half a 3lb bag of plain DME in the boil for hop additions. 2.5-3 gallon boil partial boil. I add remaining DME & all LME at flame out. In my partial mash,I used the grain wort (50% of fermentables) to do all hop additions. Added the lil jug of LME at flame out as usual.

What would be considered late? I just did an American Rye kit from Northern Brewer and instructions had me adding the liquid extract right at boil and boil for 60 min

I would add about 2 pounds of extract at boil, and the rest at flame out. Some don't like to do it at flame out, and will go with 10 minutes left in the boil.

If you do late additions don't you need to recalculate the hop weights as you would get more utilization leading to more IBU's?

I don't & they come out fine since I'm doing partial boils & late additions anyway. It all evens out in the fermenter when toped off & fermented out.

I would add about 2 pounds of extract at boil, and the rest at flame out. Some don't like to do it at flame out, and will go with 10 minutes left in the boil.

I actually like the flameout idea. I don't see any benefit that 10 min. has over flameout, and might as well use it to drop the wort a few degrees.

Two reasons that I can think of to add extract earlier:
1. Maillard reaction (don't care)
2. Driving off DMS. Is this something that needs to be taken into consideration with extract?

I looked into the DMS once, and iirc it requires solution to be in (aka wort) but an extract leaves to little water. If you'd like, the way you get rid of DMS is by boiling and to make an extract, they boil a lot.

A lot of the mailard reactions are eliminated with late additions,thus cleaner flavor & lighter color. And don't worry about DMS in extract brews. That's more of a concern in AG & PM.

Back