I just realized I've not sanitized anything

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camride

Reaction score
So I thought that the little bottle of powder that came with my Midwest Groupon kit (basic kit) was sanitizer, but I never actually read the bottle. I looked at it last night and it states it's a cleaner (stated on their website as: 4 Oz. of Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser), not a sanitizer. :eek: I've made three brews though with no infection though. :banana:

Just thought I'd point out that improper sanitation doesn't always equal instant infection. :) And yes, I already picked up some star-san today.

I've heard this cleaner has "unofficial" sanitizing properties. I wouldn't recommend using it as your only sanitizer, but it could explain why it allowed everything to work for you.

That cleaner is a lot like OxyClean. It has a solid that dissolves into dilute hydrogen peroxide. In high enough concentrations, H2O2 is a sanitizer. However, at the concentrations used, it can be a disinfectant. All that means is that the kill rate of microorganisms is smaller. Thirty years ago, that cleaner was the standard sanitizer for home brewing.

Don't panic, I have a feeling you'll end up with beer.

Oxiclean & One Step are sanitizers, just not FDA approved. They both generate hydrogen peroxide as part of the process, which cleans and sanitizes surfaces.

With that said, I still use Star-san after I use Oxiclean or One Step when brewing/bottling/etc.

That cleaner is a lot like OxyClean. It has a solid that dissolves into dilute hydrogen peroxide. In high enough concentrations, H2O2 is a sanitizer. However, at the concentrations used, it can be a disinfectant. All that means is that the kill rate of microorganisms is smaller. Thirty years ago, that cleaner was the standard sanitizer for home brewing.

Don't panic, I have a feeling you'll end up with beer.
Oh I did, I've already knocked back my first brew and my second is bottle conditioning now. I'm not worried at all, I'm mostly just pointing out that forgetting or not using Star-San or some other equal sanitizer doesn't equal instant beer death.

I have a tub of OxyClean so I'll be using that and Star-San from here on out. :)

That takes a lot of my mine first brew. I did the same thing four days ago. My first brew too.. Panic. I'm glad that someone else has done that LoL!! I still smell alcohol coming out of the airlock. That is a good thing right? Getting ready to probably move to secondary tomorrow. Airlock hasn't bubbled in a day and a half.. So, I figured I could rack it to the secondary tomorrow. Or should I wait till Monday?

I used Easy Clean for my first four batches, delicious.

Kind of like food (one of my other hobbies is hot sauce), just because the FDA doesn't approve it, doesn't mean it isn't effective to the task, it can be backwards beaurocratical nonsense.

That being said in the interests of caring too much I use Star San. My LHBS told me easyclean would work perfectly fine used in the right concentrations, but better to err on the side of caution I suppose.

LoL!! Stupid question here. How do u edit ur profile? IE: pictures, quotes. Ect.
User CP (Control Panel) towards the top left of the site.

How long has your beer been in primary? You should leave it in primary for at least 2 weeks before moving it to secondary.

I did the same thing with my first 2 non Mr Beer batches. Every thing turned out ok. All new equipment might have helped. Now I'm using Starsan.

It's been the primary for 4 days now. The directions tell me to move it to the secondary between four and six days after bubbling has stopped in the airlock. It hasn't bubbled in a day and a half now. Or, should I leave it in the primary for another week?

It's been the primary for 4 days now. The directions tell me to move it to the secondary between four and six days after bubbling has stopped in the airlock. It hasn't bubbled in a day and a half now. Or, should I leave it in the primary for another week?
Read the stickies (as there is a lot of useful information in them), lack of bubbling in the airlock is not a sure sign that fermentation has stopped. If you're going to secondary your beer (which is not necessary unless you're doing additions) it's best to keep it in primary for 2-3 weeks, then another 1-3 weeks in secondary.

I just checked, and I've been using no rinse cleanser to sanitize as well, I never really thought to check. I haven't had any problems though, as far as I can tell. I'll pick up some bonafide sanitizer for my next batch, though.

Wow I feel like an idiot, I have been using one step for the last 5 years and never had an infection. I only just bought starsan because I started kegging .

All those out there using one step as a sanitizer, I would say it works if I am any proof.

Chris

i've been a long time troller on these boards its debated many times and i believe that with proper cleaning star san is just a fail safe and it being so cheap why risk it, i generally clean everything with oxy clean and it only takes a second to spray everything down but if you clean well and you did forget the star san you can RDWHAHB

Back