Fruit Beer Apricot Blond.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-04
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
NO
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 Days in Keg
Additional Fermentation
no
Tasting Notes
Enough beer for me, enough fruit for SWMBO
7# American 2 row
1# Crystal 20L
1 oz Cascade (60 Minute)
3# Can Oregon Fruit Puree.
4oz bottle of apricot flavoring.

Mash with 4 gallons of water at 154 degrees for 60 minutes, stir every 15 minutes. Batch Sparge until I hit the 6 gallon mark on my boil pot.

Add SafeAle US-04 when cool.
Add 3# can of Apricot Puree at day #3, and give a good gentile stir.
Add bottle of Apricot Flavoring at bottling / Keg time.

This is a very nice blond ale with enough fruit that it kinda kicks you a bit, but after the second or 3rd drink, you appreciate it as beer too.

*** NOTE This is a recipe card from the Brew Hut in Aurora, and brewed by Dry Dock Brewing.***

I am not a fan of Fruit Beer AT ALL, but this one is back on track for the holiday season.

I think I'm going to make this my first AG brew. Is this an easy one?

about as easy as it gets.
Mashing 8 # of grain, only 1 hop addition, no decoction...no sparging magic....it's like AG with training wheels.

Let me know how you do....heck get us some pictures.

I will most definately. It won't be for a while (lack of storage and already have a queue of extract brews in mind), but I have subscribed to this thread and will definitely get you some pictures. This recipe sounds delicious, by the way. I might even bump this up in the queue!

Im looking at making an apricot beer....someone said this might be a lil strong on the fruit side....to knock it back a notch and only using either the puree OR the extract which one would have the best flavor for subtleness?

This will be my first all grain batch I'll be making this weekend.

Couple of questions based on what I have available... I don't have access to S04 at the moment without driving about 3 hours. Would Nottingham or Wyeast 1056 work?

I also have 1 lb crystal 20 and 1 lb crystal 40. For a 10 gallon batch, would that throw
off the colour too much? If so, I'll scale back to a 5 gallon batch.

Cheers!

This will be my first all grain batch I'll be making this weekend.

Couple of questions based on what I have available... I don't have access to S04 at the moment without driving about 3 hours. Would Nottingham or Wyeast 1056 work?

I also have 1 lb crystal 20 and 1 lb crystal 40. For a 10 gallon batch, would that throw
off the colour too much? If so, I'll scale back to a 5 gallon batch.

Cheers!

Dry Dock Brewing recommends WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 London ESB.

As for the crystal, Dry Dock's recipe only calls for 0.5# for 5 gallons. Double that and your golden :) See link above.

I tapped a keg of the Dry Dock recipe for a family party on July 4. Big hit. This is a nice, easy-drinking summer beer, with enough complexity from the apricot to make it interesting. It's nowhere near as overpoweringly fruity as a lot of apricot beers.

As for the yeast, I brewed mine with S-04, and it turned out excellent. I'm not a fruit beer guy, but this is a very nice fruit beer. The method (3 lb of puree in primary ferment, flavoring at bottling/kegging) seems like it would lend itself to lots of different fruit, if you were so inclined.

Hmm... that link isn't valid anymore... Can someone post or PM me the DryDock apricot blonde recipe? (assuming Dry Dock is ok with that....)

From what I remember the OP recipe was identical to Dry Docks. That's why I posted the link. I didn't want the OP to take credit for a Dry Dock recipe.

Dry Dock and The Brew Hut gave out most, if not all of their recipes out. The Brew Hut has since pulled the blonde ap off their site. Not sure the reasoning.

One thing with Dry Docks Ap Blonde recipe was that the amount of cascade hops was too much. I knew three people that brewed the extract recipe and it all came out way too hoppy. So I brewed their recipe a while ago. Brought it in for them to try it. We came to the conclusion that the amount of cascade needs to be cut in half. I think it was closer to .25 to .33 oz of cascade.

And be careful with the 4oz. additive. That stuff is potent.

From what I remember the OP recipe was identical to Dry Docks. That's why I posted the link. I didn't want the OP to take credit for a Dry Dock recipe.

Dry Dock and The Brew Hut gave out most, if not all of their recipes out. The Brew Hut has since pulled the blonde ap off their site. Not sure the reasoning.

One thing with Dry Docks Ap Blonde recipe was that the amount of cascade hops was too much. I knew three people that brewed the extract recipe and it all came out way too hoppy. So I brewed their recipe a while ago. Brought it in for them to try it. We came to the conclusion that the amount of cascade needs to be cut in half. I think it was closer to .25 to .33 oz of cascade.

And be careful with the 4oz. additive. That stuff is potent.

Thanks for the info... I went ahead and brewed it this past weekend. I am going to omit the additive all together and just use the 3lb can of Oregon apricot puree. I also used the full 1oz of Cascade for 60 min and even added an oz of Amarillo for 5 mins... but I am a hophead, so I couldn't imagine it any other way. I've been tweaking a hoppy apricot ale recipe that was similar to Dogfish Head's Aprihop, but after trying the Paragon Apricot Blonde, I decided it was much better to go that way (BIG apricot!) Will let you know how it turns out

Anyone have updates on this one? I have a friend who wants something similar to Magic Hat #9 for their wedding, and this seems like it might fit the bill. That said, I'm not a fan of fruit extracts/essences, so I'd probably just go with the fruit puree.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone have updates on this one? I have a friend who wants something similar to Magic Hat #9 for their wedding, and this seems like it might fit the bill. That said, I'm not a fan of fruit extracts/essences, so I'd probably just go with the fruit puree.

Thanks in advance.

I have brewed this a couple of times, omitting the extract and just using the 3 lb can of Oregon Apricot Puree. It has a pretty mild apricot flavor compared to the Dry Dock Paragon Apricot Blonde, but it's still pretty tasty. It's a nice, mild, smooth session type beer. Good for a wedding I say. If you haven't tried Dry Dock's version, it's a must. That thing is amazing... packed full of apricot flavor but still nice and balanced.

I did Biermunchers blonde and added 3lb of apricot puree after 5 days in primary, tastes great. Just the right amount of apricot.

#3 sounds like an absolute lot of apricot. I make an apricot belgian wit with 12oz of apricot puree, and it already has a faint taste of apricot. I'm interested in trying this recipe now to say the least...

The "OP" isn't... and wasn't trying to take credit for anything. I was just sharing a recipe that we really liked.

Your original post had no mention of who's recipe it was. That's why I called you out on it. Thanks for editing your post and giving credit to where credit was do. :mug:

Hey long time lurker, first time poster. Just had a quick question: Do you add the whole bottle of extract to the bottling bucket like you would your priming sugar?

Awesome, thanks! I'm brewing some party favors for my brother's wedding and this seems like a good addition, especially for the non craft beer drinkers.

Picked this kit up from the brew hut, next door to dry dock for my first brew, brewed this 5/18, will be adding the puree tonight after work. Hopefully it turns out as my wife liked the taste, sampled it from dry dock.

I just bottled this kit and initial tastings at bottling were very close to the original. They must have bumped up the kit a bit though as it calls for more than 7 lbs of 2-row. I did the all grain recipe as a BIAB but fell short of the OG a bit so I wasn't able to top off and ended up with only 4 gallons. Still, can't wait for this to condition a bit and have it ready for the hotter upcoming months.

I did the same kit, extract though. I got it from Northern Brewer. I added the purée on day 3, skipped the secondary, and kegged at two weeks. I cold crashed it overnight and then filtered it into a clean keg with the whole bottle of extract. Came out real nice and disappeared real fast. I did compare it against a bottle of the real stuff and was surprised that the real thing actually had slightly more apricot flavor. Mine was real nice with that hint of apricot, just slightly less fruit forward. When I filtered it most of what was caught in the filter ,i.e., clogged it pretty good, was the purée. I suspect if I wouldn't have filtered it the apricot flavor would have been closer the the original. I didn't have any sediment though. It's going to be in my keezer year round though, so I'll probably do it unfiltered next time for comparison. I highly recommend the kit, the recipe, and the real product.

Mine is very cloudy, often with apricot "floaties" is ok, cause it tastes so good!

This recipe also works with peach and cherry... And likely anything that you could match purée and extract!

Brewed 10 gallons of this recently. Substituted the Wyeast Belgian Wit and added one cup of turbinado sugar to a 90 minute boil. The OG was 1.54 and FG was 1.004 for an ABV of 6.7%. Put the extract in one carboy and skipped it in the other. Overall I think I like the beer without the extract better. It's really just as flavorful as the beer with it, and doesn't have the slightly "off" taste from the extract. Great summer beer that is very popular with all tasters. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Back