Is this too much priming sugar for kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planned on bottling 5 gallons of Pilsner (with 5 oz corn sugar) on Sunday and 1/4 of the way through I found out my capper was broken and thus was not sealing these properly so I ended up kegging 4 gallons of of Pilsner with a higher amount of corn sugar than what I have read is recommended. Will this affect the taste of the beer perhaps making it sweeter?

Planned on bottling 5 gallons of Pilsner (with 5 oz corn sugar) on Sunday and 1/4 of the way through I found out my capper was broken and thus was not sealing these properly so I ended up kegging 4 gallons of of Pilsner with a higher amount of corn sugar than what I have read is recommended. Will this affect the taste of the beer perhaps making it sweeter?

It will effect it in the fact that it will be more carbed than it would have been in bottles, other than that you shouldn't see any bad side effects. I just carbed a Belgian in the keg with 2 cups sugar and 1 cup brown sugar, but i was aiming for VERY high carbonation.

It will be fine. If you used the same amount as if you were bottling it will be overcarbed however with the keg you can blow off the pressure and get it down to proper carb levels.

So should I wait the usual 3 weeks for the carbing process to occur or just give it 2 weeks before placing this keg in the keezer?

I'd go with the three weeks.

And don't worry about "sweeter" - corn sugar is 100% fermentable, there's not going to be any residual sweetness from the primer...

Cheers!

Back