First smoke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DodginBUIs

Reaction score
Just got a GOSM and fired it up for the first time (after seasoning it) last night. Made some bacon wrapped chicken breasts that came out fantastic. Smoked for 225 for about 3hours and turned it up briefly to crisp up the bacon at the end before pulling them out. Im hooked... A pork butt is goin on on Sunday and I cant wait.

IMAG0070.jpg

That looks tasty.

2nd first timer tip... always wear shoes when working with coals, smokers or burning things. Third degree burns on your feet suck.

Just saying.

That looks tasty.

2nd first timer tip... always wear shoes when working with coals, smokers or burning things. Third degree burns on your feet suck.

Just saying.

Ouch! I BBQ in flip-flops and never really worried about that. I do wear welder's gloves and am thinking about a thick, leather butcher's apron for flying cinders. Now you have me worried about my feet. :eek:

OP, that sounds and looks terrific! Welcome to ManCooking!!

I remember one time I decided to speed up my charcoal chimney by hitting it with some compressed air. I was wearing flip-flops. It was funny to everyone who wasn't me. On the upside I learned that when in great duress, I really can dance.

GOSM = great outdoors smoky mountain, its a vertical propane smoker that walmart carries. after reading these charcoal stories im pretty glad i chose propane

oh and as for keeping the lid shut, ya its tempting to open the cabinet door, but i held off. I didnt want the temps all over the place and it loses a ton of heat when the door gets opened. i was able to peer in through the vent in the top and take a peek to calm the desire to see whats goin on in there

I remember one time I decided to speed up my charcoal chimney by hitting it with some compressed air. I was wearing flip-flops. It was funny to everyone who wasn't me. On the upside I learned that when in great duress, I really can dance.

I scared the myself ****less with my chimney. I placed it down on the concrete and went inside to get my gloves so I could move the coals around inside my ugly drum smoker after I poured in the hot the coals. I forgot about it for about 5 minutes, came back outside to my concrete spalling and sending the chimney 20-30 feet and blowing a bunch of hot coals in my parents yard/pool.

Just got a GOSM and fired it up for the first time (after seasoning it) last night. Made some bacon wrapped chicken breasts that came out fantastic. Smoked for 225 for about 3hours and turned it up briefly to crisp up the bacon at the end before pulling them out. Im hooked... A pork butt is goin on on Sunday and I cant wait.

Just so you know, I will be driving around with my windows down smelling for that pork.

Challenge accepted.

Our neighborhood is a "walking community". Which is a developers bull**** idea to sell more houses and give me more sidewalk to shovel in the winter. While riding bike with the kid or walks with the wife... if I see someone outside running a smoker I always chat them up.

There are four or five of us that stop by now when we smell the smoke.... THey all know that at my house if the smoke is flowing the beer is too.... Bastards.

Our neighborhood is a "walking community". Which is a developers bull**** idea to sell more houses and give me more sidewalk to shovel in the winter. While riding bike with the kid or walks with the wife... if I see someone outside running a smoker I always chat them up.

There are four or five of us that stop by now when we smell the smoke.... THey all know that at my house if the smoke is flowing the beer is too.... Bastards.

note to self: 1. dont tell neighbors i brew beer. 2. keep kegerator inside, smoker outside.

Latest posts

Back