Why the **** is it....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBKing

Reaction score
That I paid for a nice queen sized pillow top mattress like a month ago and find myself getting comfy on the couch?

Huge flareup between SWMBO and I aside, I dont usually like to sleep apart (despite her late night cuddling and cover stealing) and then add to that that I'm 100% in the right on the latest topic.

WTF gives?

Theres room for me, for sure. I go into the bedroom and see my one year old sleeping with mom as he had a hard time falling asleep, and mom in the center of the mattress. So I start to edge in and wake her up to scoot just a tad bit, and she scoots the other way!

If the boy wasnt in there sleeping, I'd have raised hell about it.

While I appreciate the excuse to drink another pint, being kicked off of the bed I paid for 100% and not being able to ***** about it to SWMBO on account of the child really ****ing gets my goat.

Its time for seperate god damn rooms for her and I

Although, the couch is pretty damn comfy :mug:

I know a lot of people do it, but a child should not be sleeping in the same bed as the parents.

That said, my wife is asleep on her Vera Wang Wedding collectable (like there's chance that someone has a 18 bedroom house with one in each room...:D)...and since I've been drinking, plus it's almost 1:15 AM...I'm staying downstairs on the couch because I like it...;)

It's a WIN-WIN situation...I can drink and snore all by my lonesome and SHE gets a good nights' sleep...:D

We have 2 other bedrooms set up for relative/company, but I prefer to stay downstairs...

You have to break your wife of giving in to your kid. He didn't have a hard time going to sleep, he worked her and will continue to work her as long as the two of you let him.

I like to sleep on the couch or the spare room from time to time, but there is no way in hell anybody is going to keep me from my bed if that's where I am going to sleep.

You have to break your wife of giving in to your kid. He didn't have a hard time going to sleep, he worked her and will continue to work her as long as the two of you let him.

I like to sleep on the couch or the spare room from time to time, but there is no way in hell anybody is going to keep me from my bed if that's where I am going to sleep.

+1 on this for sure. I work nights and it pisses me off when I come home and find my 4 yo son in my bed. I ask my wife to stop letting it happen and she didn't so I just started making sure to wake him up at 6 am when I get home so she would have to get up with him. Strangely I no longer find my son in my bed in the morning any more.

We never let our daughter sleep in our bed. When she was a baby, we'd sometimes take turns sleeping with her on the couch. When she she turned 3, we put her in a full sized bed in her room. If she needs company, one of us goes to her bed to sleep.

With that said, I frequently find myself sleeping on the couch. I have an ungodly snore. All the men in my family have it, going back 4 generations.

And frankly, I'd rather snore on the couch than be punched, pushed, and kicked all night for snoring in bed and then have a tired, grouchy wife to deal with in the morning.

I agree! Cant let the kids sleep in the bed. My 3 year old daughter wants to probably 3 times a week, gotta tell her no :)

Also, screw sleeping on the couch when SHE is pissed! I never have done that, ive slept next to a pissed off wife many times :)

+1 on the child in thier own bed every night. We had to recently break the habit of our 3 yr old coming to our bed in the middle of the night. After enough times telling him to go back to bed, he stays in there all night now. The thing that helped the most was a small 25w lamp so he doesnt have to sleep in the "scary" dark.

Good luck bro!

We did a hall light nightlight. But my daughter started complaining that it wasn't enough and would turn the hall light in during the night. Which in turn woke me up.

So she got a lava lamp to use as a nightlight for her 4th birthday.

I agree that the only way you can get the kid to stop sleeping in the bed is to draw a line and say no more.

How old is your son? Depending on his age you could try a couple things. You could always try a reward stragety. Like "you'll get this in the morning if your a big boy and sleep in your own bed all night." Or a sticker chart with a bigger reward when it's all filled in might work too. That worked for us with potty training.

I would rather I never had to share a bed again in my life. I don't always snore, but when I do, I shake walls. My SWMBO however snores frequently, then says she doesn't when I wake her to roll over. Grrrr.

Hah, totally off topic, but my ex and I went bed shopping when we moved in together and it caused a **** storm of an argument. she wasn't willing to spend a lot (ok almost ANY) money on a decent mattress and I, being a person who the sleep fairy regularly forgets and ignores, was willing to say "money no object" so long as I can get to sleep on the damn thing. we're arguing and arguing about it, she doesn't want to spend much money it on but strangely enough it was all MY money that was spent on it regardless. we finally go to the mattress store and she takes me to the back of the store where the $100 king size "mattresses" are and tries to get me to lay down on one. I do and it's the lumpiest hardest, most supportive piece or crap I've ever laid on. it takes the one mattress for me to flair up and yell "NO! come with me, we're doing this my way." I go to the fron of the store right by the door where the creme de la creme is displayed and tell her to lay on a $1600 (ballpark figure, it was a few years ago) matress. we're laying on it and she falls in loves with it. tell me she is sorry and we really shouldn't cheap out on it and lets find something comparable to this but maybe a little cheaper. right at that time the salesman comes up to us while we are still laying on the mattress and says, we are all out of stock of that one but I'll sell you the floor model for $700 out the door. needless to say, before we even sat up, we committed to buying the bed. the bed that I wanted, the bed that I payed for, and the bed that I got only a tiny sliver of each night. one day the ex even told me she wishes we would have opted for a king size instead of a queen. I just laughed and told her it doesn't matter what size of bed we got, my sliver of the bed would stay the same size. but I'll be goddamned if someone kicks me off of MY sliver of MY bed. I'd never unwillingly sleep on the couch. but now I get the whole thing to myself!!!!! :)

The wife and I have found that having seperate rooms is... well, awesome! :) She snores and I take upwords of 20 minutes before I stop 'shuffling' before I fall asleep then, I snore. Each of which is irritating beyond belief to the other.

This is why children were designed to be raised by a mother AND a father. Your job is to mitigate her part and she yours. You're going to be the bad guy sometimes and that's part of your job. Don't complain about the situation; fix it.

Disclaimer: Gender roles are not written in stone. Gay parents and single parents are absolutely capable of performing both roles. Also, men can be nurturing and women can be disciplinarian.

As for sleeping on the couch, in my house I sleep on the bed. She's welcome to sleep on her side whether I'm angry at her or not, so I expect the same. I agree with dougf. I can sleep just as well next to a pissed off wife as I can next to a happy one. It's the waking part that's a pain in the ass.

Lol, I havent been here in a couple days. Almost forgot about this thread.

Obviously a lot of you like to take the hardass approach and say "I dont get kicked out of my bed", which is fine.

But if I'm in the right and its plainly obvious except to a pissed off SWMBO, I'll just go ahead and sleep on the couch. The next morning usually consists of French toast, bacon/sausage and eggs, and a day full of ass kissing. I attempt to make those days my brew days when available :)

For the record, my son will be 1 next sunday, and he only sleeps in our bed when nothing else seems to get him to sleepl The night of the OP just happened to be one of those nights (though I would have ended up on the couch regardless prolly lol)

Funny thread, glad to know I'm not the only guy who goes through similiar situations.

Cheers everyone

1 is kind of young for the sticker thing, but old enough that you should encourage stopping the habit. The older they get, the harder it is to break habits.

Another option: let him fall asleep in the bed, then move him. My daughter sleeps like a rock.

Another option: hold him on the couch until he falls asleep, then put him down. I miss being able to do that with my daughter. Still, every once in a while, if she isn't feeling good, she'll snuggle up and fall asleep.

Do you have a bassenet or portable crib you could set up for him when you need it? That way he could be in the room but not in the bed.

Good luck.

Back