how much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarter

Reaction score
I am bottling my first batch of AG today and need some advice. I primed most of my bottles with some left over carbonation drops from an old coopers kit. I just bottled my last primed beer and still have maybe a six pack left in my secondary. I thought I woulod just spoon a little priming sugar into the remaining bottles but Im not sure how much to add to each bottle without having problems. Can anyone tell me, in common kitchen measurement,
how much priming sugar to add to each bottle?

I wouldn't add undisolved sugar directly to bottles. I would either go the carb drops method or just by disolving the corn sugar in a very small amount of boiling water. My rough math figures you need 1/12th of a cup of corn sugar which translates to 4 teaspoons.

-edit- That's to prime the entire six pack. I'd boil the water with the 4 teaspoons of corn sugar and add that back to the secondary, and then bottle.

Also, there are 3 teaspoons in 1 tablespoon, so if you go 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon, you'll get there faster. On that small of a scale, I'd be very carefull with the measurement so that you don't get bottle bombs.

Here is a great Carbonation Calculator. Just plug in the numbers. The amount is in gallons, and one 12 oz bottle is roughly 1/10th of a gallon. Actually it's .09 of a gallon. To obtain a carbonation level of 2.0 volumes, it would require .06 oz (1.6 g or 2/3 table spoon) per bottle.

John

Thanks guys,

I ended up adding around 1/2 tblspoon to each bottle. The last 5 from this batch have been segregated since they could be a little flat or in some way different form the rest. I have them in a 48 qt cooler outside for carbonation just in case one happens to go off.

Sorry for the late post, but I have always had good luck dissolving Muntons Extra Light Unhopped Spray Malt Extract at a ration of 1/4 cup per gallon of beer, heating it in 2 cups of water to about 180 and then making sure to cool it down before adding and stirring.

Back