The problem with fruit beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
Rant:

What's the problem with fruit beers? Dealing with the damn fruit.

Pureed raisins. The recipe calls for pureed raisins.

Try it. Seriously, try it.

Try it and burn out your own damn blender Mr. Recipe Writer.

I'm not sure if chopping 6oz. of raisins is better or worse than peeling 5lbs of peaches. But both are pains in the ass.
:mad:

The problem with fruit beers is you keep trying to brew them. :D

I've made some easy ones but I wouldn't peel 5 lbs of peaches to save my life.

FWIW I don't have a problem with fruit beers because I have nothing to do with them! Also, I'd use a chopper to puree raisins, although I think a blender ought to be able to do it. How many did you have to puree??

The problem with fruit beer...

patrick_mcgoohan.jpg

is that it's full of fruit!

I bet my Cuisinart food processor would puree raisins pretty handily. You just need a better blender.

On my latest strawberry blonde batch, I didn't puree although I had in all previous iterations. Instead I just halved the things and froze them. This one is by far the best strawberry blonde I've made.

I was doing 6oz. in a magic bullet (which really should be a sex toy name instead of a blender).

The problem is after dehydration the skin is tough and the sugar is concentrated. So it creates a huge ball that gets stuck between the blade and the wall.

Chopping it with a knife took time but wasn't bad.

Mostly I'm going for a fuller mouthfeel than trying to flavor the beer.

Rant:

What's the problem with fruit beers? Dealing with the damn fruit.

Pureed raisins. The recipe calls for pureed raisins.

Try it. Seriously, try it.

Try it and burn out your own damn blender Mr. Recipe Writer.

I'm not sure if chopping 6oz. of raisins is better or worse than peeling 5lbs of peaches. But both are pains in the ass.
:mad:

I bet if you had this it wouldn't be so bad!
VinceOffer-SlapChop-1.jpg

Some beers are best purchased than brewed. For me, its Guinness and fruit beers (usually lambics)

Buy a can of Oregon Puree. It is sanitized, no seeds, tasty, blended from a few crops, so you get a nice balanced flavor.

However, they don't have raisin ;) I've got a can of Apricot I'm trying to figure out what to do with.

Back