Getting conflicting instructions on my mash..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
So after your MLT sits for 60 minutes and you complete your vorlauf, how fast are you supposed to let the MLT drain? The AG Tutorials don't really mention a speed, but I got the impression they drain it pretty quickly. The instructions from NB say that this process is supposed to go very slow, I'm guessing to get better filtering?

What speed to you drain your initial runnings from the MLT?

Fly sparging is generally a fair amount slower than batch sparging (I hear 30+ minutes, and not uncommon for 50+ minutes).

Batch sparging is as fast as you want it to be without sticking your sparge :D . Of course, you then reload your MLT, stir, wait, and drain again. AND, maybe you do this yet again.

I batch sparge and I have a 1/2" full port ball valve, and only open it about 1/4-1/3 way for most of the sparge until I reach the very end at which point I slowly open it fully. I hope this helps.

Edit:
At 1/4-1/3 open, I still grain my MLT within 5-8 minutes so it's fairly fast IMO.

I believe gravity is the preferred method. So if you are using a tier system just open up your valve and let gravity do its work, filling you kettle. I don't have a tier system and use a pump which drains at about 7.5 gallons a minute, which I have been told is not optimal but I average 80% efficiency, and that's with a batch sparge.

You can go however fast you'd like, but you'll get better results with a slower drain-off as it allows the wort to actually work its way around the grains. Too fast and you'll get chaneling and low efficency. As mentioned - batch sparging doesn't really require as slow of a speed because you pre-mix your sparge water. Fly sparging is 'washing' the grains so you want to make sure the 'clean' water on top is pushing out the wort below, nice and slow.

I batch sparge and do not vorlaff but use a BIAB bag and open her up full blast. I figure what the heck it is good enough for the BIAB group it should be good enough for me

Ah thanks for the clarification. I was probably reading two separate sets of instructions for the two different types of sparging. I batch sparge and usually go about half-open on a 1/2" valve , just wanted to make sure I wasn't messing something up.

Back