HTL Magnetic Stir Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjlammer

Reaction score
I have been wresting with how to stir/mix my HLT, and BK (during chilling).

I've thought about pumping, or stirring with a motor, but it always seems either really expensive to do it right, or it will be ghetto and cobbed together.

Im wondering if you think that i could make a super strong stir plate that will work through my coolers insulation on the bottom of the HLT? I think this would be a slick way to mix the HLT (and perhaps the BK).

What do you guys think?

I have been wresting with how to stir/mix my HLT, and BK (during chilling).

I've thought about pumping, or stirring with a motor, but it always seems either really expensive to do it right, or it will be ghetto and cobbed together.

Im wondering if you think that i could make a super strong stir plate that will work through my coolers insulation on the bottom of the HLT? I think this would be a slick way to mix the HLT (and perhaps the BK).

What do you guys think?

The magnets you would need, a stir bar large enough and the size fan you are going to need to build a magnetic stirrer large enough to stir your HLT or Boil Kettle will cost alot more than if you used a motor to stir with.

I've seen some people here use an ice-cream maker motor with a stir bar. I have no clue what they use for a stir bar, but the ones I've been able to find via web search are mutha-flocking EXPENSIVE...

This guy shows how he does a whirlpool with a copper cane and pump. [ame="http://youtu.be/Bfp_ifTjMqg?t=4m"]Video[/ame]. Skip to the 4:00 mark.

Just an Fyi for others searching for info on this topic,
I built a stir plate from an old 120v 6" cooling fan and a $7 wall dimmer switch to stir a $5 2" stir bar and it works fine to agitate all 15 gallons of water..... with the cost of the fancy box I have about $19 invested.....
An old motor from a small fan bought at say the good will would work just as well but my fan is like a bog PC style ... I think they call them muffin fans?
I don't know if a 12v fan would be strong enough honestly but there's a lot of cheap used options in between.

Latest posts

Back