Keg carbonation question not attached to line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papagoat

Reaction score
I have searched for an answer to this here and I can't seem to find and answer to this direct question.

I have 1 tap which currently has a beer on it.
I racked a bath to a second corny last night and put it back in the fermenter chest. I set the psi at 10 and hoped it would carbonate this week while I clear a spot on the tap.

This is the first time I've carbonated a keg that didn't stay attached to the CO2.
Am I going to lose CO2 pressure as the gas is absorbed into the beer? Should I set it at a higher CO2 to compensate for this?

You need to maintain CO2 pressure until the pressure in the liquid equalizes with the head space pressure. Translation: You need to keep the CO2 line connected to the keg or it will not carbonate! If you only have one tap and several kegs I would suggest adding priming sugar to the keg when you rack the beer into it and allowing it to naturally carbonate at room temp until you have a tap freed up.

I do this all the time, I carb at room temp around 60 degrees. I usually hit it with 25 psi and shake for a couple minutes. Then just hit it with 25psi once a day. When it stops taking in more gas it's fully carbed.

I do this all the time, I carb at room temp around 60 degrees. I usually hit it with 25 psi and shake for a couple minutes. Then just hit it with 25psi once a day. When it stops taking in more gas it's fully carbed.

How many days usually? Just a round about number....

Well if it won't take anymore gas, then it is probably way overcarbed.

Well if it won't take anymore gas, then it is probably way overcarbed.

No, if it won't take anymore gas it's carbed perfectly. If you notice I said 25psi at 60 degrees, that's 2.3 volumes of co2. Sometimes I use up to 30 psi For Belgians which would be close to 3 volumes of co2.

Latest posts

Back