And the spent grains go to...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
I'm curious what everyone does with their spent grain. Kind of like a poll. Even if you see your disposal mentioned, chime in.

I will be brewing next week and intend to take it to the neighborhood lake trail and spread it as we walk the 3/4 mile. What do you do with yours?

Toss it in the woods behind the house and let the deer eat it. Or bag it, freeze it, and give it to my friend to feed his chickens.

Since I have the FL sunshine I spread it on a couple of SS plate I have very thin and let it dry. The squirrels and birds get a share while wet but when Dry I add it to the bird and squirrels feeders and they get it all. They seem to be getting more and more of the wet stuff since they have figured out what it is.

I have heard of baking it into dog biscuits (no hops though). Dogs love it.

Mine just goes in the compost pile.

Give it to my gf's mom's chickens..they love it(as well as the hops). Dog biscuits are an interesting idea..do you bake the grains?

most of mine go to dog treats, search "make cookies for your best friend" or "spent grain dog treats". The rest of mine i freeze and give to a friend who does the same thing.

Usually make a few loaves of bread or cookies. The rest go into the compost.

I've been thinking about setting up something with a local who raises chickens. Spent grain in exchange for a few fresh eggs.

Back