Water Quality Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewQC

Reaction score
Hi,

What can I do to my tap water to make it usable?

Alkalinity (mg/l as CaCO3) 172
pH 7.4
Ca 55.6
Mg 28.3
Na 12.5
Sulfate 65
Chloride 25.6
Flouride .77
Chloramines 3.08

From what I've been reading I think diluting it with RO water and adding Calcium back in would help. Am I on the right track?

A bit of acid when brewing pale beers. Other than the alkalinity, it doesn't look bad. I've made good beer with worse water.

You'd want to do something about the chloramines too. Campden is something people use for that. Activated charcoal works too, if your flow rate is slow enough.

I use 2 pitcher style Brita filters. It takes about a hour to get 7 gal but the water tastes way better. Boiling the water should remove all the chlorine.

Hi,

What can I do to my tap water to make it usable?

Alkalinity (mg/l as CaCO3) 172
pH 7.4
Ca 55.6
Mg 28.3
Na 12.5
Sulfate 65
Chloride 25.6
Flouride .77
Chloramines 3.08

From what I've been reading I think diluting it with RO water and adding Calcium back in would help. Am I on the right track?

Your water looks great really. It's looks fantastic for pale ales with those sulfates.

As the other fella said a few mililiters of lactic acid would set you right where you need to be if brewing say...

5-gallon batch with 10# of 2-row or pale..... 3ml lactic acid.... use 2ml lactic acid if you toss a 1# of coloured/crystal malts in.

If want to make your brew more malty you will want to explore adding 1gram of calcium chloride to your mash as well as the lactic acid.

If you want to balance everything out add 1gram calcium sulfate and 2grams calcium chloride with 2ml lactic acid.

You have really great water! My water is impossible to use.

Wheat raises your mash pH so you might desire to stay away from that.

A campden tablet.... I think that might help with the chloromines. Someone affirm this if this is the case.

The additions go in the mash, sparge, or both? I think I read somewhere not to add them to just water. Thanks for the info!

Back