Traditional ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP 002 English Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 Days at 65 Deg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 65 Deg
6lbs Extra Light DME
14oz Crystal 55L

(steeped in 1.5 gallons of 160deg water for 20 minutes)

0.75 oz. Wye Target 13.90AA for 60 min.
0.50 oz. WGV 4.50AA for 40 min.
0.50 oz. WGV 4.50AA for 30 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. 5.00AA for 15 min.

Very traditional ESB. Color turned out perfectly and the hop profile is spot on for the style. I will probably up the crystal malt in the future to add a little more character but other than that it is perfect.

I may try this recipe next as I love me some ESB. I was thinking of upping it to 1lb of Crystal 60L like you suggested. Also, do you think it would be cool to replace the WGV hops with Fuggles?

P.S. What seasonal do we have on tap at the Wickendan Pub right now?

Maybe I'm just not awake yet. What is WGV?

As for using fuggles, EKG and Fuggles are the traditional ESB hops, so I say go for it.

For your extract, I suggest an English one (isn't John Bull English?). I think there's supposedly a flavor difference that will bring your extract brew a little closer to style.

Cheers!

I've heard there is a "Maris Otter" pale LME made by John Bull now. Sounds like a good match for this one, but you might need to be in England to buy it. :(

I'd also like to recommend using Fuggles, but you'll need to up them a bit to compensate for their low AA.

Also, if you're looking for a little more character, try adding a pound of Victory malt instead of upping your Crystal. That's what I do!

:mug:

6lbs Extra Light DME
14oz Crystal 55L

(steeped in 1.5 gallons of 160deg water for 20 minutes)

0.75 oz. Wye Target 13.90AA for 60 min.
0.50 oz. WGV 4.50AA for 40 min.
0.50 oz. WGV 4.50AA for 30 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. 5.00AA for 15 min.

Very traditional ESB. Color turned out perfectly and the hop profile is spot on for the style. I will probably up the crystal malt in the future to add a little more character but other than that it is perfect.

Since I am still learning here, I have a few questions:

1. WGV is - Whitbread Golding Variety hops? Are there any subs?

2. The recipe notes that the Crystal is steeped in 1.5 gallons of 160 degree water for 20 mins. Then, did you drop it into a tun to drain it, or did you steep it in a mesh bag, or...? Also, if one were to add 1 lb of victory malt, would that also be a mesh bag steep? And again, in 160 deg. water for 20 mins?

3. Batch size was 5.5 gallons here. Did you boil the full 5.5, or use the original 1.5 gallons to add the extract and boil the hops, then drop 4 gallons cold water on top of it in a fermenter? (I've done this latter, which helps bring down the temp.)

4. Did you do any dry hopping?

5. Thanks!

Northern Brewer has a 100% Maris Otter LME at $17.99 for 6 lbs. Just brewed some. Almost put it on a waffle.

brewenc1 said:
Northern Brewer has a 100% Maris Otter LME at $17.99 for 6 lbs. Just brewed some. Almost put it on a waffle.

LMAO!! Nice one! Instead you could cook it with grain that could make a waffle. Either way...

Back