Urgent Help Needed. Yeast mixup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks, I have a huge problem and need advice. I prepared a liquid yeast yesterday for my wheat beer that I was going to make tonight. However tonight I stated an IPA recipe instead. So now I will have an IPA wort ready in an hour but my liquid yeast is the wrong one. I do have a London Ale yeast but it is still in the liquid yeast package. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

EB

If you have any dry yeast such as Nottingham or 05, I'd use that. If not, I'd use the London Ale the way it is and fridge the wheat starter. It may take a whole day or so to take off, but you should be fine.

which yeasts do you have? wyeast 3056 or wlp300 for the wheat and 1028 for the london?

Use the london yeast, no problem. if its a smack pack, smack away. either way, seems like you should just pitch the london yeast without a starter.

IPA began as an english style beer so most likely, your beer will be closer to a traditional IPA.

Good luck and hop it turns out well.

Make a wheat tomorrow night!!

I have used 1028 London Ale quite a bit -- mostly for English brown ales and porters, but also a few IPA's. It's a fantastic general English yeast. But if you don't want the fruity esters in your IPA, don't let it get into the warm side of it's fermentation range. It can get really 'estery'.

Keep it from the warm temps and you will really love it in your IPA.

Back