Chocolate Rye Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey Everyone.

So, my first attempt at a stout despite my best efforts, turned into a Robust Porter. So before I attempt a stout again, I thought I would throw this recipe up and see what people had to say on it. Let me know what you think if you don't mind. I am normally a belgian and IPA type guy so darker beers are a bit out of my comfort zone.

11.00 lbs American two-row
01.50 lbs Chocolate Rye Malt (250L)
00.75 lbs Roasted Barley (300L)
00.50 lbs Crystal 80L
00.25 lbs Black Barley (500L)

0.75oz Columbus 45min
1.00oz Willamette 10min
1.00oz Willamette 05min
1.00oz Cascade 05min

WLP013 London Ale

Estimated OG- 1.067
Estimated FG- 1.014
Estimated ABV- 7.0%
Estatimed SRM- 45
Estimated IBU- 44

I would really appreciate any feedback. As a disclaimer/reasoning, I recently had someone brew a dark Chocolate Rye Porter, and I don't think I have ever smelled a more delicious wort. So I am going to give it a shot.

Looking forward to your ideas.

Thanks, and happy new years!
Kyle

How dark is the roasted barley? If it is the "light" variety you might not have enough roast for a big stout.

If you want some rye character I'd add a few pounds of rye malt in place of some of your base malt. Say ~20% of the grist.

I like the combo of Willamette and Cascade, should be nice in a dark beer.

Otherwise looks good. Hope it turns out to your liking.

I added the lovibond to the first post. The Chocolate Rye has a really unique flavor/aroma...its hard to explain. It is like the rye brings out a more distinct sweet cocoa character and that is why I was interested. A little more rye probably couldn't hurt though. Let me know what you think now with the lovibond added. I still have room to play so I can always add more body if needed. I fear maybe that was my problem with my first stout, I probably failed to get enough body in the wort. Thanks!

Kyle

I'd probably do 1 lb of chocolate rye and .75 lbs of black barley. I was really disappointed in the lack of roast character I got from the 300L roasted barley I used from Briess. As is you will be closer to a porter roast level than a stout, although the difference between the two is difficult to pin down.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was very curious as to why my original stout didn't go as I expected. How does this look?

11.75 lbs American two-row
00.50 lbs Crystal 80L
00.75 lbs Black Barley (500L)

I really want to keep as much chocolate rye as possible, so wanting to keep that, I decreased the base a bit and just settled for a point or two increase in OG. I am thinking about mashing in around 153-154. I appreciate the thoughts, and I think you helped me understand why my original beer backfired.

Thanks
Kyle

3 lbs of dark malt/grain is on the high side, but it sounds like you'll have enough sweetness to back it up. Let me know how it turns out.

perhaps you're right. I will look to make some trades. I will be brewing it in a week or two. I will post the final recipe. I appreciate the advice.

Kyle

Flaked barley/torrefied wheat can give you the added body without resorting to a boatload of crystal malts or mashing higher.

Also, black barley is pretty potent. A little goes a long way, especially paired with other roasted malts. If I were you, I'd keep the chocolate rye the same and use a mix of RB and black barley to get up to 28-29 SRM and call it a day.

So, brewmasters warehouse has two different roasted barleys, one at 300 and one at 550. Do you think I should dump both the 300 roasted and 500 black barley and just go with a smaller amount of the 550? Or would keeping both be better for more complexity?

I would likely be substituting the .75lb RB (300) and .25-.50lb Black (500) for .75lb of RB (550). Maybe throw in a some flaked rye for flare.

Thanks
Kyle

So, brewmasters warehouse has two different roasted barleys, one at 300 and one at 550. Do you think I should dump both the 300 roasted and 500 black barley and just go with a smaller amount of the 550? Or would keeping both be better for more complexity?

I would likely be substituting the .75lb RB (300) and .25-.50lb Black (500) for .75lb of RB (550). Maybe throw in a some flaked rye for flare.

Thanks
Kyle

That's what I would do. I really like flaked rye for added body without added sweetness.

It looks like I am being offered a nice quantity of Pacman yeast...Instead of using the London or English Ale yeast, do you think the pacman would work well for this brew?

Pacman is a nice clean strain, should be fine since there is so much else going on.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was very curious as to why my original stout didn't go as I expected. How does this look?

11.75 lbs American two-row
00.50 lbs Crystal 80L
00.75 lbs Black Barley (500L)

I really want to keep as much chocolate rye as possible, so wanting to keep that, I decreased the base a bit and just settled for a point or two increase in OG. I am thinking about mashing in around 153-154. I appreciate the thoughts, and I think you helped me understand why my original beer backfired.

Thanks
Kyle

How did this turn out?

This is an absolutely stellar beer if i do say so. The chocolate rye malt is much softer than traditional chocolate. This allows you to use much more of it, giving you an exceptionally big bodied, chocolately beer. I have brewed this as a regular stout and bumped it up to an imperial and both were awesome. My friends have said it is arguably my best beer.

Digging up an old thread, hope that's OK. Wanted to add that I brewed this 2 ish months ago. Let it age for 6 weeks and it is indeed a stellar beer. I changed the recipe up a bit to use hops i had to hand, different yeast (LHBS didnt have WLP013 and i thought the fruitiness of the WLP023 could be interesting) and added to oats to give it a bit more body / head retention. I wasn't convinced at first as i tried a rye stout at a local bar and it was pretty bad, but this one is great.

My recipe was:

11 lbs 8 oz US 2-Row(3.5 SRM) 74.20%
2 lbs Chocolate Rye Malt (250.0 SRM) 12.90%
12 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) 4.80%
12 oz Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) 4.80%
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 3.20%

1.00 oz Hallertau [3.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min 9.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Fuggle [5.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min 22.8 IBUs
1.50 oz Hallertau [3.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min 2.7 IBUs

Mashed @ 155F

WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast

Estimated OG- 1.075
Estimated FG- 1.023
Estimated ABV- 6.8%
Estatimed SRM- 52
Estimated IBU- 35
Total Efficiency - 68%

Digging up an old thread, hope that's OK. Wanted to add that I brewed this 2 ish months ago. Let it age for 6 weeks and it is indeed a stellar beer. I changed the recipe up a bit to use hops i had to hand, different yeast (LHBS didnt have WLP013 and i thought the fruitiness of the WLP023 could be interesting) and added to oats to give it a bit more body / head retention. I wasn't convinced at first as i tried a rye stout at a local bar and it was pretty bad, but this one is great.

My recipe was:

11 lbs 8 oz US 2-Row(3.5 SRM) 74.20%
2 lbs Chocolate Rye Malt (250.0 SRM) 12.90%
12 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) 4.80%
12 oz Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) 4.80%
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 3.20%

1.00 oz Hallertau [3.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min 9.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Fuggle [5.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min 22.8 IBUs
1.50 oz Hallertau [3.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min 2.7 IBUs

Mashed @ 155F

WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast

Estimated OG- 1.075
Estimated FG- 1.023
Estimated ABV- 6.8%
Estatimed SRM- 52
Estimated IBU- 35
Total Efficiency - 68%

How did this turn out? I was given a 5 gallon bucket of flaked rye from a distiller friend and this looks good

How would you compare the chocolate rye malt to regular chocolate? I find chocolate malt being quite harsh at larger quantities and 12% seems like quite a bit.

I was planning to brew a black ipa and was disappointed to find out that what was marketed to me as "roasted rye" is actually Weyermann Chocolate Rye and nowhere near as dark as regular roasted barley or black malts. Not sure if it will suit the style at all.

Last edited:
Chocolate rye is more like pale chocolate malt but it has a sort of biscuit & sourdough like quality to it. It's nice but imo you can really pick it out as being rye or a different chocolate malt.

If you want a rye stout then you need to use about 20% rye malt and 10% flaked rye. That way it actually tastes of rye

Back